Sign in to follow this  
[GP] Guybrush Threepwood

Kiting bears across water

Anyone know if you can kite bears across deep-ish water.

I built a taming pen on my land, and there's a bit of water, not massively long or deep between my land and the mainland. I've hit a bear with arrows to agro it and it follows me a certain distance, about halfway then turns around and heads back. No matter how much I agro it the bear never seems to follow me all the way across.

It's going to be impossible to tame anything if I can't kite it to my land where I have a pen.

It's rough to do but you can definitely get it working.  You basically just have to keep on it and let it constantly reaggro you which means the chances of you getting hit are very high.  Add on to this every now and again after hurting things they seem to get stuck in the "Run Away" mechanic.  Whenever this has happened the only way we've managed to solve it is by beating the thing to a pulp until it goes unconcious(tried on a lion yesterday, not sure if it still works).  If you have a horse you could try the back kick that deals a ton of torpor damage and just knock it out then carry it back to your base. 

Alternatively if the goal is just getting a tamed bear and you live in a region with sap/syrup/organic pastes thanks to the stone changes you could probably get a good deal on one from the tundra regions.

18 hours ago, Vaenix said:

It's rough to do but you can definitely get it working.  You basically just have to keep on it and let it constantly reaggro you which means the chances of you getting hit are very high.  Add on to this every now and again after hurting things they seem to get stuck in the "Run Away" mechanic.  Whenever this has happened the only way we've managed to solve it is by beating the thing to a pulp until it goes unconcious(tried on a lion yesterday, not sure if it still works).  If you have a horse you could try the back kick that deals a ton of torpor damage and just knock it out then carry it back to your base. 

Alternatively if the goal is just getting a tamed bear and you live in a region with sap/syrup/organic pastes thanks to the stone changes you could probably get a good deal on one from the tundra regions.

Thanks, I think the issue I experienced was I move too fast in the water compared to the bear so the distance grew longer. I tested with a Bull and I successfully managed to keep it following me by slowing down my movement from time to time.

The trap at least works though as I logged on this morning to find a lvl 14 horse stuck in it lol.

Time to retry the bear!

On 1/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Finally success!

72mVyKy.jpg

Congrats on getting one, I hope it was a good level for you.  I've been spending all my time killing off level 4s and 5s up north.  Finally got a lvl 26 the other day(the first bear we found in this area was a 29 that we lost to an alpha lion).  

Congrats!  I was obsessed with a certain bear last night, but couldn't get it to come over a hill to our trap.  A mate of mine helped, and we finally got it.  Low level, but really cool fur pattern. 

20190128234219_1.jpg