Sign in to follow this  
LoneXS

Trying to understand Claim mechanics

Have noticed some companies manage to keep their Claims in a perpetual state of 3 day protection but not entirely sure how its done. To give context I came across one company with 20+ claims all on one Island with every Claim stating 'Other Company PvE Claim Flag Upkeep 16xxxx seconds' each with the same timer.

Now I've been passed it a few times taming Elephants and its almost always 15000 seconds on all the claims for this company and also on the half dozen claims that don't belong too them. I was under the impression if you wanted to reset the 3 day protection for a claim you had to take down each claim  individual and replace it to restart the timer but going by this example you can lock down a whole Island by just reseting 1 claim repeatedly? (including blocking third party claims from being taken as it will state another companies claim was upkept recently)

Am I getting this wrong and missing something or is this the actually intentional?

The three day protection isn't from when you made the claim, its from the last time you were active in the area.  Having to demolish and replace the claim was a glitch from before a few patches ago.  What may, or may not, be a glitch is all overlapping claims being reset when you are active in any 1 of them.  If you are seeing an island with multiple companies claims consistently being 15000+ seconds to claim, it sounds like its an island with pretty active players.

Ahh ok so you basically just have to be active in one of your claims and it resets every other claim you own or just over lapping ones? I did a quick circuit just now and its every single claim they own with the exact same timer. But there's also 2 claims that belong to a third party which show the exact same timer so does it also block out neighbouring claims if they over lap in some way?

2 minutes ago, LoneXS said:

Ahh ok so you basically just have to be active in one of your claims and it resets every other claim you own or just over lapping ones? I did a quick circuit just now and its every single claim they own with the exact same timer. But there's also 2 claims that belong to a third party which show the exact same timer so does it also block out neighbouring claims if they over lap in some way?

you have to enter the claim radius to refresh the protection timer default 3 days 

if you are asleep in the claim area not playing the protection will not refresh but a sleeping player will still contest anyone who trys to take the flag 

At the same time, anyone can contest you declaiming, at any time, just by existing in the area, not people affiliated with the person you're trying to take land from, or people trying to take the land themselves. Twice so far this morning, I've had a claim I was trying to take over under 30 minutes left on the declaim, and someone has rolled up on their ship, parked about an inch inside the claim circle, and stopped, then reset my claim progress. Whats stupid is that they have no idea they're doing it, they were just looking for somewhere to anchor. Claims are an exercise in frustration - 6 hrs completely wasted today alone...and counting.

• Like 1

Wow that sucks, seems pretty silly tbh. Though now knowing how much easier it is to protect a claim, being a semi/solo player it doesn't seem to be unrealistic to be able to protect a small chunk of land assuming you remain active or place a sleeper in the centre. Kinda been living out of lawless since playing as it never seemed realistic without a group.

Edited by LoneXS

Its why I have other accounts that sit in the area, logged off. That body still prevents it. 🙂

The sinking of folks ships, killing their character with a wild, and attempting to take over the land in a 6.5hrs is hella fun.

Even more so when folks run across back and forth gathering, only to reset the timer. Can take around 16hrs to get a claim.

Party time.