Sign in to follow this  
Murreth

My suggestion for fixing the claiming system: Upkeep

Greetings all, so I don't know how many of you have played Rust, but my suggestion to fix the problem of the claiming system is to blatantly steal Facepunch's idea for upkeep, but not for buildings like Rust for territory you have.

For those of you not familiar with how upkeep works in Rust here's a video explaining it.

Basically the idea is pretty simple, there would be some sort of container, in Rust it's called the tool cupboard, and it would tell you how much of each resource you need to put in it every day to keep your territory being your territory. If you don't put anything in the box your claims begin to count down and if the timer reaches zero they become unclaimed property once again. The amount of resources you need to put in would depend on how much territory you own, so if you have only one claim circle it'd be cheap, if you have 5 it'd be more expensive, 20 it'd be way more expensive and so on. This would make it so players and companies have to be active to keep their territory, discourage players and companies from claiming territory they don't need and clean out inactive players and companies naturally without any interaction needed from anyone else.

The box would have a limited number of slots so that you could put in enough to keep your territory safe for several days in case someone needs to go away or doesn't play that much or what have you, but not so much that you could just put 30 days worth of resources in and forget about it.

Also, in Rust the tool cupboard gives raiders a target to go for, and defenders something that they have to hold no matter what. Think of the epic, pulse pounding battles that would ensue if your entire territory was on the line.

I welcome everyone's constructive and reasoned feedback. 🙂

I'm against this idea for PVP servers. If you want territory you must fight for it and protect with arms and not just grind resources 24/7.

32 minutes ago, Murreth said:

Think of the epic, pulse pounding battles that would ensue if your entire territory was on the line.

I only read "more lag and battles the servers cant handle anyway" 😉

5 minutes ago, BlackFlint said:

I'm against this idea for PVP servers. If you want territory you must fight for it and protect with arms and not just grind resources 24/7.

Claiming in PVP should either be al out war or diplomacy. Claiming for PvP is fine, it’s PVE that’s having issues. 

21 minutes ago, Dappypally said:

Claiming in PVP should either be al out war or diplomacy. Claiming for PvP is fine, it’s PVE that’s having issues. 

The whole game was designed for PVP. That's the problem.

47 minutes ago, BlackFlint said:

The whole game was designed for PVP. That's the problem.

I mean not really, there’s RPG aspects in the game for PVE that work fine. 

I know what you mean I think, you mean “designed for PVP, the devs have only looked at the PVP aspect” 

which I agree on.