Vorxius

There be cyclones, capt'n.. what do we do?!

Just curious about this tbh.  I know some of you guys have infinitely superior experience dealing with them to me, so wondered if I may be able to gain some views!

Is it better to sail through, around, try to avoid each and everyone?  or some, seem to say...  pull in your sails, and sit it out...

Some of my own observations on these (and we lived to tell the tale, granted battered and beaten up a bit)..  Trying to avoid twisters is neigh on impossible...  literally surrounded by at least 10 of the suckers last night, in a circle, ring around the boat so, no matter what we were going to end up in one, and with the wind changing direction so much, you can end up catching ships of the damned, and getting into a right royal tizz.  That's what happened last night...  was trapped in cyclones, and had TWO SotD on us.  We were in our speed resource Schooner (trusty RMS Fleetwood), so we just prayed for a break in the storm to run.  It did, storm cleared up, put the wind to the rear and made like roadrunner.  Ran out of materials for repairs and made emergency anchor to scramble materials from the beach...

After this, I'm more afraid of getting caught in the cyclone net and being killed by SotD, than the cyclones themselves.... trying to navigate around seems to lead to disaster pulling agro from the damned (who appear immune to cyclones)......   Is it better to stop dead, in sea...  Wait it out?  Do cyclones agro like NPCs?  or do they just circle around at random.....  I swear they have sentience..  They (imo) sure as hell come for you, and box you in!

So, what would you guys do?   Pull in the sails, scramble below deck and do damage mitigation,  or try to avoid the circus, and sail through it risking bumping into ghost ships?

(whilst on this, ghost ships are WAY too numerous still, they're an obstacle course in their own right, let alone coupled with cyclones!)

Cheers for reading me out here.

• Like 1

Just barrel right on through. Honestly they aren't as scary as they look. The damage is minimal. As long as your ship isn't dangerously low on health, you got sweet f all to worry bout other than dodging any nearby SotD. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rykuran said:

Just barrel right on through. Honestly they aren't as scary as they look. The damage is minimal. As long as your ship isn't dangerously low on health, you got sweet f all to worry bout other than dodging any nearby SotD. 

Churning over last night in my head, it was the ghost ships causing the damage.....  it's just the cyclones sure feel like we were caught in a net, ready to be toasted.  If we'd stayed put, weathered out the storm, not agro'd the sotd's we may have been better off.......  hard to tell 😄

I try to dodge them, they actually do significant damage to ships now, Ive noticed 200 or 300 damage per plank per water spout which can add up quick, but if it comes down to a choice of demon ship or spout, take the spout of course.

• Like 1

They change wind direction so that can be a big problem running from SotD. Aside from that they don't do much.

I had to go out IRL yesterday so I fast traveled in the middle of one assuming I'd lose my slop but when I got home fast traveled back and was fine right where I left it.

• Like 1

The damage is really based on the size of the ship.  My sloops barely take damage from them, I take more damage then the ship does.  The Schooner on the other hand takes a bit more damage.   I usually just plow through them trying to hold my course as best I can.

• Like 1

Love the replies, thanks everyone.  Mixed bag, sounds like it's a case of do and try 😄

close sail and wait. We tried it the last day´s, best option. Nearly all Cyclones move around you an vanish befor hiting you.

Sometime you get a hit.

No risk to SOTD 😉

• Thanks 1