Sign in to follow this  
Nightstrasza

Sturdy or accomodation

Which is better, cheaper crew or slower sinking ship? PvE, schooner, ship mainly for fighting whales and SoDs and long range exploration.

Personally I usually do accommodation for one or two extra beds first (need fast respawn on PvP), then raise crew limit until I have enough slots for all AI plus my friends, then everything into weight.

I would use that schooner to get a full AI crew then scrap it for a brigantine. Brig is better in every way, especially weight per level up. It's easily sailable solo with AI.

Also, carry at least one full side worth of planks and gunports to replace after combat. They weigh less than materials and it is the only thing that can save your ship if you lose a few. 

I'm with Theszerdi here. Basically exactly the same - enough to get an extra bed or two, bump crew up to cover sails/cannons/friends, then pump weight and generally ignore sturdiness. If my ship starts REALLY getting up there in levels (my current galleon is like 50+ now), I start putting a little into sturdiness just to avoid the extra food spoilage, but really its not important imo.

But I play on unofficial, so other players trying to kill me is pretty much a non-issue. YMMV there.

To get brig need to build it so more resources (EH, hate gathering fiber) and need many more points put into sailing + already got schooner outfitted, built, yeah, scrapping it would be painfull, would just prefer them to make sense out of it (buff it).

1 minute ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

I'm with Theszerdi here. Basically exactly the same - enough to get an extra bed or two, bump crew up to cover sails/cannons/friends, then pump weight and generally ignore sturdiness. If my ship starts REALLY getting up there in levels (my current galleon is like 50+ now), I start putting a little into sturdiness just to avoid the extra food spoilage, but really its not important imo.

But I play on unofficial, so other players trying to kill me is pretty much a non-issue. YMMV there.

Don't think official servers allow to lvl up higher than 41 on ships.