Sign in to follow this  
Mercenary

Reverse a ship

On a raft, you're probably out of luck; they can't reverse and need to go forward to turn.

On a ship with a wheel, you can set sails to 0% and hold down S to (extremely slowly) reverse, as Tez said above, and can also turn on the spot on 0% sail.

I have never seen this work for me. I had a ship I had to scuttle because it was caught in some shallows that I didnt see until too late. I spent a good 30 minutes holding S and moving left and right to no effect.

Well that sucks, Merlin. Maybe doesn't work if you're grounded?

I reverse-park our ships every time we return home, so I know it definately works in general.

I was grounded on hard-to-see shallows with a sloop but managed to back off ok.  I held "D" down as I held "S" down and did a bit of a reverse turn.  Maybe you were really badly wedged onto the shallows?

probably. i was sailing after dark and got in a nasty spot. kinda annoying to lose all that time. <shrug> I just wish it was less real and more fun in that you can maneuver and park your ships easier.

This starting to be a pain in the A.... my raft away bump in something and get stuck I 'm sick and tired to do all again and again this starting to make this game very boring, we should have a pedal or something to move the raft, FIX THIS S...... 

You need to pay attention when sailing a Raft.  They're a square slab of wood with no rudder and a clunky sail, so they are bound to be difficult to turn using the sail, in comparison to the Sloop.  Honestly, dump the Raft - I loved my Rafts but having tried a Sloop I'll only ever use Rafts as floating platforms for a Bed.  Sloops dance across the water and turn on a dime as well as being able to back up nicely.