Sign in to follow this  
RogueLdr

Best mount?

Which mount offers the best ratio of speed, durability and dps for general usage?

I.E.  exploring, fighting off preds,  getting to rare mats in dangerous areas, etc...

I don't mean so much for farming mats, that's usually in a safer area and  TBH i'm not sure they even do it better then you, but feel free to add it if you like.

Horses are lightning fast but squishy.

Bulls seems kinda middling in all areas

Haven't got a pred mounts yet, so what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

It's bear by a landslide. They can get over 2,000 weight or really great health, depending on how you level, they have knockback on their attack (makes it easy to kill multiple wolves/crocs/whatever). Fighting lions still sucks, but they're gonna suck on anything, and you can still win easily if you have a loaded pistol for when you get grabbed. Bears also gain speed while running, so in a straight long distance travel you can really book it. I use my bear for gathering and taming too since you can use hatchets/picks and bolas while on its back. It's pretty much great at everything.

• Like 1

Yeah, not tried bear yet.  But, a couple of things irk me.  I had a level 13 wolf killed by a level 3 croc that kept perma healing...  Then I find it quite mind boggling that on an island crawling with rhino's that there's actually no rhino taming food.  

Question for folks reading this though.   I have tried to look it up, but I notice there's three tiers of 'generic saddle'..  Would anyone know what saddles are used to ride what animals?   I tried a tier 1 on a wolf but lucked out.  Wolfy was killed before I could find enough paste to make a tier 2.   Would be great to know for reference.

Yea bear has no problems with crocs or anything else. My all around bear has 1k health and 1500 weight, it's pretty much immune to anything but alphas, and then i just run for water.

For saddles, almost nothing uses t1 (bulls i think). all the big stuff needs t3, like giraffes, ostriches, rhinos, elephants, most everything else is t2.

Thanks for the tips, had a feeling bears would rock, they are the only thing i've ever seen kill a giant snake. Problem is there's no honey on any of the islands i've been to yet. lol

As far as the saddles go, you need to use the tier saddle that matches the creatures tier.

T1 saddle on T1 mount

T2 saddle on T2 mount

T3 saddle on T3 mount

1 hour ago, Vorxius said:

Yeah, not tried bear yet.  But, a couple of things irk me.  I had a level 13 wolf killed by a level 3 croc that kept perma healing...  Then I find it quite mind boggling that on an island crawling with rhino's that there's actually no rhino taming food.  

Question for folks reading this though.   I have tried to look it up, but I notice there's three tiers of 'generic saddle'..  Would anyone know what saddles are used to ride what animals?   I tried a tier 1 on a wolf but lucked out.  Wolfy was killed before I could find enough paste to make a tier 2.   Would be great to know for reference.

Wolf is tier 2 saddle. This link has a list of all the animals, their tier and the food required to tame them.

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Taming

As for best animal Ive only tried wolfs and tigers and they both seem good.

Edited by Ubung
  • Like 1

Wolf, bear, tiger and lion are really the ones i want to compare.

Though i'm leaning towards bear if for no other reason then they can pull a carriage. Our poor shipwright can't afford to get the riding skill lol

17 hours ago, Ubung said:

Wolf is tier 2 saddle. This link has a list of all the animals, their tier and the food required to tame them.

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Taming

As for best animal Ive only tried wolfs and tigers and they both seem good.

Exactly what I was after, many thanks indeed good sir.