Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

This isn't funny anymore.

image.thumb.jpeg.6608d26617fcdd8cd04d6789ab31b80f.jpeg

So a foundation can't clip into the ground?  Uhmmm...they always clip into the ground.  So how much can't they?  I mean, the top of this one clears the ground.

image.thumb.jpeg.b144c58bc6bae302e6c1a724e670de70.jpeg

Wait...I guess they can.

image.thumb.jpeg.8141d536c82ad29648f0952656e5d3a3.jpeg

No, I guess not....but wait...

image.thumb.jpeg.1c1cc0c62bec2bdcd55c45f8112453c7.jpeg

It CAN...and it can't...those empty spots are empty for a reason.

How about a wall?  Can it clip into the terrain?
image.thumb.jpeg.157242b4d982d58d81fd1ab833c7c933.jpeg

It CAN!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.bb27e174ef3755ef1abc823052e34965.jpeg

Wait...no, it can't.

What about the foundations finishing into an existing Behemoth gate, to complete close off the structure so the bad guys can't get in and kill the tames?  Surely this will work, right?

image.thumb.jpeg.69173ca9ce94318f5b2b4c5184f9d2f0.jpeg

No!  So wait, what about a ceiling?

image.thumb.jpeg.c4bd546451a359e14196340b9aa20281.jpeg

No dice!

You know, as I look at the picture below, I realize that games should be fun, and challenging...

image.thumb.jpeg.71e86faba8c7f10a9bde891293f6a946.jpeg

...not frustrating.  There is no reason to prevent the basic structures from clipping into the terrain, or other structures.  Containers, and crafting stations, beds, etc...yeah, I get why those should not, but this is just beyond ridiculous.  If this just has to be, then alter the way you do the S+ mod inclusion.  Use the S+ TEK shield as an example.  It can't be picked up when it is damaged...even one point, but it can be picked up anytime it is not, and done so with a point and click tool for reaching the high stuff. Do the same here, so when you learn 80 to 90% into the build that the terrain there is fubar, you can pick everything up and start over someplace else.

• Like 1

yeah, thats ridiculous. you tested the triangle version of fondation ? that work sometime where the square don't., Visualy some time thats not really...beautiful but that work.

25 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

image.thumb.jpeg.380d3c6399f1ae56e4e8f2c69e6a969c.jpeg

I give up!  Shoot me now!

Got the same problem except having 2 tiles high roof and can place the top ladder piece but can't place the bottom...

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any reason why they shouldn't allow for clipping of building structures?  We need to understand that building structures are different than things such as beds, supply containers, mounted weapons, crafting stations, etc...

I agree, it works in Conan Exiles and gives nice possibilities for building, closing cave entrances and so on.

In Atlas buildings must stand free of the mesh.

• Like 1

I cant wait till modding takes off.  It's like they went back in time 4 years.  I just started building, significantly, today and I'm missing basic things like ramps.

EA is the real stuggle!

3 minutes ago, Dorf said:

I cant wait till modding takes off.  It's like they went back in time 4 years.  I just started building, significantly, today and I'm missing basic things like ramps.

EA is the real stuggle! 

There are ramps... and stairs! To get a ramp press T while placing a roof. You can cycle different types for most of the building blocks. 

I tried a roof. It wouldnt snap to my floor.  So I snapped it to a railing and removed the railing and poof it broke. 

3 minutes ago, Dorf said:

I tried a roof. It wouldnt snap to my floor.  So I snapped it to a railing and removed the railing and poof it broke. 

Hit T when you have the roof placement active and change it to a ramp. I just check, the ramp will snap to floors but the roof itself doesn't. 

Edited by MaxPower

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Hit T when you have the roof placement active and change it to a ramp. I just check, the ramp will snap to floors but the roof itself doesn't. 

I must have been doing it wrong.  I'll try again.   I'm familiar with the t function but it wasnt working for me when I tried earlier.  It might be the landscape causing issues.

1 minute ago, Dorf said:

I must have been doing it wrong.  I'll try again.   I'm familiar with the t function but it wasnt working for me when I tried earlier.  It might be the landscape causing issues.

Yeah its possible something funky is blocking the placement. Stairs and ramps definitely snap to floors. 

As the OP was talking about, there is some serious strangeness with what causes placement block and what doesn't. Not really surprise, the exact same was also true in Ark. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah its possible something funky is blocking the placement. Stairs and ramps definitely snap to floors. 

As the OP was talking about, there is some serious strangeness with what causes placement block and what doesn't. Not really surprise, the exact same was also true in Ark. 

It doesnt show it well but it was right before the small gate doors.

20190102_172715.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dorf said:

20190102_172715.jpg

I found placing a lot of items; especially foundations and ramps, goes much better in 1st person view, sometimes nothing you do in 3rd person will get it to snap in place but soon as you scroll into 1st person snaps in insrantly. 

9 minutes ago, Dorf said:

Have you tried removing the railings and placing the ramp/stairs first? Other than that I can't think of any reason it wouldn't snap based on that picture. 

You can also try hitting Q, which cycles the available snap points.