Sign in to follow this  
sinrad

Tamed animals getting killed

So I finally managed to tame my first level 9 bear earlier, put him in a closed off pen with a lvl 1 tame bear later and set them to wander to see if they would breed. Logged back in and in the company log it says he (but not she, she's still alive in the pen) has been killed by a wolf. The same thing happened yesterday when I had two chickens on the upper level of a house, also set to wander to breed and logged back in and they were both dead. One was killed by a wolf and one by a rattlesnake. If they're set to wander are they just bugging out of my house/pen and getting killed or what is going on? Me and my crewmate are asleep in the house as well and have not been killed. I also have 2 cows and a third chicken not set to wander and they've all managed to stay alive. The bear was also sticking his head out of the wall so he could have been killed that way, although it does not explain the chickens dying or why the other bear is still alive when she was on aggressive and only level 1.

I've seen the cows bug out of their pen when I accidentally whistled a "follow" command to apparently all the animals and got to see two cows flying over my house out of their pen which was quite ridiculous 😄 The chicken stayed stuck inside.

I've turned all of the wandering off in case this is the problem but would like to know if it is that or if I need to build more walls around the house or something to stop it.

[EU PvE]

If stasis and chunk loading is like ARK then they are probably wandering through your walls while you sleep.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nari said:

If stasis and chunk loading is like ARK then they are probably wandering through your walls while you sleep.

I didn't play ark so don't know about any of this stuff 😞 So best thing to do is just turn off wandering before I log out/leave the area? Hope that works. Thx for reply 🙂

Thanks guys 🙂 I'll turn it off and hopefully won't lose anymore. Going to try and get another male bear before this event is over... again...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sinrad said:

Thanks guys 🙂 I'll turn it off and hopefully won't lose anymore. Going to try and get another male bear before this event is over... again...

in ark i used to have animals on wander inside the main base in their own small 2x2 railied off  area this worked well i never had them wander off outside walls as they didnt need rendering in when u were offline as noone can or needs to see them 🙂

18 minutes ago, UDO said:

in ark i used to have animals on wander inside the main base in their own small 2x2 railied off  area this worked well i never had them wander off outside walls as they didnt need rendering in when u were offline as noone can or needs to see them 🙂

The issue comes from stasis being a larger AoE than max render and chunk streaming. If ANYONE is within stasis range and not render range collision is not checked and they can wander through walls/rails/fences/foundations. Not nearly as bad as it used to be though.

sinple solution... don't log off with animals on wander.... I read this whole post and no one has suggested this simple fix...

Ye, all the above, remove wander, also wolves ect can get there head thru walls and still bite, so I made a stone pen on 2 high stone pillars with a ramp so they can't reach, lost none since.

Edited by nosscar

Seems creatures can attack your animals through walls as well tho.  I’ve logged on several times to find dead animals that were inside enclosed buildings.  May also be due to the above issue where wild animals are wandering through building walls because of the no collision checks based on distance from an active player,  seems very difficult to get animals to survive the times you are logged off.