Sign in to follow this  
CyanicEmber

Taming and Accusations of "Ark Clone"

I've seen a lot of people get their knickers in a huge know over the fact that you can tame and ride creatures in this game and how it was meant to be about sailing, piracy, melee combat and primitive firearms. Well, I understand your concerns and I just want to set a few things straight.

1. As far as I know, tameable creatures have a maximum level of 30 when wild, and they can only level up twice as many time as their base level once tamed, so there is essentially no way to acquire totally OP death machines as was the goal in ARK from the get go. Creatures have their uses, but they are not the focus.

2. I have played over 100 hours on PvP NA and seen ZERO mounts used in combat, and, in fact, ZERO tames at all apart from my own Chickens and Sheep, which obviously are not for combat... The fact is that this game was designed from the ground up to encourage melee and firearm combat as can be clearly seen by how the weapons are balanced.

3. A single shot from a firearm is enough to kill most players unless they are specced in defensive capabilities, just as it should be. Tames are much less reliable and I highly doubt they will ever be the go to combat meta in this game.

To sum up, Atlas's creature systems have been significantly tweaked as compared to ARK to better align with the game-play concepts of Atlas and meet player expectations. I suspect as we go things will only get better on this front.

I have yet to see a tame, I suspect that most people simply don't have spare skill points for now. 

Personally do I first want stone building parts before I consider taming, with the high amount of aggressive spawns is stone  a must.

Edited by kolpo

We have a few tames.  They definitely are not as OP as tames in ark.  They tend to have one good use, like gathering a specific mat, and thats about it.  I know the devs plan to release a lot more creatures into the world over time so we will probably see more unique stuff as time goes on, but just like ark on day 1 most of the tames are just sort of OK.   They are still USEFUL though.  A wolf is a fast running.  Makes for good scouting.  Giraffe can carry multiple people and gathers either thatch or wood, can't remember which.  Bear is super good for fiber apparently.  

Are sea or amphibious creatures tamable: Those would be very useful in the current map

13 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

I've seen a lot of people get their knickers in a huge know over the fact that you can tame and ride creatures in this game and how it was meant to be about sailing, piracy, melee combat and primitive firearms. Well, I understand your concerns and I just want to set a few things straight.

1. As far as I know, tameable creatures have a maximum level of 30 when wild, and they can only level up twice as many time as their base level once tamed, so there is essentially no way to acquire totally OP death machines as was the goal in ARK from the get go. Creatures have their uses, but they are not the focus.

2. I have played over 100 hours on PvP NA and seen ZERO mounts used in combat, and, in fact, ZERO tames at all apart from my own Chickens and Sheep, which obviously are not for combat... The fact is that this game was designed from the ground up to encourage melee and firearm combat as can be clearly seen by how the weapons are balanced.

3. A single shot from a firearm is enough to kill most players unless they are specced in defensive capabilities, just as it should be. Tames are much less reliable and I highly doubt they will ever be the go to combat meta in this game.

To sum up, Atlas's creature systems have been significantly tweaked as compared to ARK to better align with the game-play concepts of Atlas and meet player expectations. I suspect as we go things will only get better on this front.

Pretty soon the sailing will be done with. It will be about bases and tames. That is all there is to it.

i know what you want this game to be, but it will get turned into ark very quickly. You can count on that