Sign in to follow this  
Dez_beard

So is there any point to playing Pve

I know this may sound like a repeat to most of these post but Pve is pointless. Ship was destroyed anchored due to patch last night with the fix of ghost ship spawns. Just a few minutes ago I decided to log on only to find my bed gone and land claimed. Knowing full well that its pointless going to a new tile on my raft all islands are completly red out.  Now forced with the only option to join someone else not knowing there intentions and if you played ark you know people start getting toxic.

Even if they do a patch it still leaves me and many others in a bind. Ya theres lawless land but doesnt that stuff degrade faster?

No point honestly. Apparently if you place a new flag on your old claimed flag, the 3 day time works properly, but if you already lost your land and ship there is literally no point in playing PVE. Also seemingly you can lose the land even if you logged off inside the claimed land. I am at work atm and if I log back in later today finding my land claimed I will walk away from the game no doubt about it. Only if a complete server wipe happens soon I will come back.

Edited by Loni

I gave it a try with my crew member and the interest in the game is there but with everything gone its horrible. When you get to metal tools guns and armor down to nothing and sad thing is this is a PVE post not pvp. I should of stayed with ark but im pretty sure all my dinos are dead and base gone because its been over a week now.

1 minute ago, BoOoM said:

+++ for server wipe. 

Im 100% for this. Feel pity for the legit players but Ive been screwed by toxic people stealing my land 3 times and ship blown by a ghost while I was offline and better yet my ship was at base port. 

27 minutes ago, Dez_beard said:

And land claim why is this even in Pve. Sounds more like a Pvp option to contest it.

feels like this is the first game where its possible to claim land. 

from a gamedev's perspective AND player's perspective ... i dont understand this at all. and i am not talking about the " messy start" in respect to server stability - it was better / faster fixed than i expected. 24h hours for near stable lagfree servers over holidays is ok. but implementing mechanics that are designed to fail .... i wouldnt even have started coding it like this. 

note to devs : when you design game mechanics ALWAYS expect there to be assholes that WILL abuse and exploit it.  they WILL ruin the fun for everyone else. if you give a player unlimited power , they will abuse it. thats what you always have in mind when designing game mechanincs for an mmo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoOoM said:

feels like this is the first game where its possible to claim land. 

Can you kill said person if trying to Claim your land?

8 minutes ago, Dez_beard said:

Can you kill said person if trying to Claim your land?

PvE…..

• Haha 2

Finding this as well, I just left starter zone, and there's quite literally nowhere left for a newbie like me to start somewhere.  

Lost everything last night. I keep checking back to see if the devs address this. I had 75 hours and people just took everything while I was sleeping in real life. I have no desire to go rob someone else if I can even find one without the three day working. 

The whole contesting thing needs to go. Make it like ark with a decay timer. Honestly if players are about stealing land then goto pvp thats what thats is for after all. I mean honestly you cant even fight back to protect your land, once contested you ether sit there for god knows how long or just give up and lose everything. And if fighting for your land goes into effect then offline raids need to be implemented. 

I wouldn't mind playing Atlas but lets be reasonable. Land can be stolen, Boats can be over weighted sunk by others. Which is all griefing by the way. And pvp at this point is a losing battle everyone's all or pretty much built up you'll be cannon fodder.

This is my suggestion make player houses sharded like ESO so people can have a house and place to build a ship this way islands will be open to explore and pvp will be fought on the water where it should be in a pirate game even if they limit claim flags all the islands will be full with houses and not much to explore i dont find digging up treasure next to a house being a pirate  

Finding and claiming land requires some dedication and running around with a claim flag out. Most land will be contested or not able to be claimed yet. However, my company has been able to take at least a few claims or work our way in on almost any island we choose. We have also given up land on entire islands that were owned only by us, as we no longer use them and wanted other people to be able to build there. It's not as hard as people are making it out to be. If you are struggling that much to find land then join a company. Check out the list of companies at https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/clubs/&f6[0]=0, ask in Chat if anyone is recruiting or use your mic in game to talk to people. There are also many companies recruiting on the official Atlas discord. There are at least several on almost every island that would be happy to have another player. This game was not meant to be played alone. It is far more fun when played cooperatively. Give it a try and talk to some companies and join the one that you feel would fit you best - you will enjoy the game a lot more and experience far less frustration.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bisbois said:

Finding and claiming land requires some dedication and running around with a claim flag out. Most land will be contested or not able to be claimed yet. However, my company has been able to take at least a few claims or work our way in on almost any island we choose. We have also given up land on entire islands that were owned only by us, as we no longer use them and wanted other people to be able to build there. It's not as hard as people are making it out to be. If you are struggling that much to find land then join a company. Check out the list of companies at https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/clubs/&f6[0]=0, ask in Chat if anyone is recruiting or use your mic in game to talk to people. There are also many companies recruiting on the official Atlas discord. There are at least several on almost every island that would be happy to have another player. This game was not meant to be played alone. It is far more fun when played cooperatively. Give it a try and talk to some companies and join the one that you feel would fit you best - you will enjoy the game a lot more and experience far less frustration.

If I do recall there was a quote from a dev saying something along the lines that you could be a sole person playing pve hence the recruitment of NPCs for crew mates. Also answer me this if this contesting was actual planed for Pve wouldn't you think they would have a counter to said contest besides waiting at said land until someone gives up and leave, such as a pvp approach to it. Meaning your contesting my land let me grab a weapon to protect it. No its large companies and griefs taking advantage of a bug in the game.

And honestly Pve is meant for a laid back enjoyment approach to the game not a command and conquer thats approach is for pvp. And if companies of said size goto pvp or arent they really that good? A large tribe on a pve server claiming stealing land is a retarded approach.

Most of us claim land around resource areas so that the resources will continue to spawn there. If we didn't, someone would come along and build there and stop all our resources from spawning. I have yet to struggle with being unable to find anywhere to build on an island or having land I wanted get taken from me.

I'm happy to provide advice if you want; but deep down I think people complaining about this largely don't understand the game.

You are fully able to play this game as a solo player; but everything is much easier with even a small company, and your frustrations could be completely avoided, which is why I suggested it. I have claimed and held land alone as well.

Could the current system be improved? Sure, and I'm certain it will be. Is it currently broken? No.

If you want to play this game as a solo player: Take a single claim and log there somewhere where animals can not kill you and NOT on your ship. No one will ever be able to take it.

Most players log in the open, or in single story thatch houses, or on their ships right offshore. They die and their land is up for grabs.

Once the 3-days inactive to contest thing actually works consistently it will be a lot easier for you to hold land as well and your problem is solved by that.

Give it a week or two (or even just 3 days) and the player base will die off a bit and you will have a lot easier time claiming some land. If you don't have the heart to lose everything you have to some bugs, and are that set on not joining a company, then I suggest you wait and maybe pick this game up again later.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bisbois said:

Most of us claim land around resource areas so that the resources will continue to spawn there. If we didn't, someone would come along and build there and stop all our resources from spawning. I have yet to struggle with being unable to find anywhere to build on an island or having land I wanted get taken from me.

I'm happy to provide advice if you want; but deep down I think people complaining about this largely don't understand the game.

You are fully able to play this game as a solo player; but everything is much easier with even a small company, and your frustrations could be completely avoided, which is why I suggested it. I have claimed and held land alone as well.

Could the current system be improved? Sure, and I'm certain it will be. Is it currently broken? No.

If you want to play this game as a solo player: Take a single claim and log there somewhere where animals can not kill you and NOT on your ship. No one will ever be able to take it.

Most players log in the open, or in single story thatch houses, or on their ships right offshore. They die and their land is up for grabs.

Once the 3-days inactive to contest thing actually works consistently it will be a lot easier for you to hold land as well and your problem is solved by that.

Give it a week or two (or even just 3 days) and the player base will die off a bit and you will have a lot easier time claiming some land. If you don't have the heart to lose everything you have to some bugs, and are that set on not joining a company, then I suggest you wait and maybe pick this game up again later.

Good luck.

Seems like we have conflicting ideas on how Pve should be played. I read your post respectively but still the thing still stands. This should not be a thing for a pve server. Player verse environment Not Pvp Player vs Player. Stealing land claims while you log off for a few hours to work sleep or what ever is ridiculous. I have a decent amount of hours into the game and not once did I even think stealing Pve land should be allowed or fair. Because once you start taking claims doesnt that and shouldn't that activate a pvp war or something? 

My mate and I literally had to stop what we where doing because we seen a contest alert go up. Needless to say we spent an 2 hours sitting doing nothing.  But I guess big tribes have a greed mindset and as a Ark player server will die yes but to a number thats low its barely active.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dez_beard said:

Seems like we have conflicting ideas on how Pve should be played. I read your post respectively but still the thing still stands. This should not be a thing for a pve server. Player verse environment Not Pvp Player vs Player. Stealing land claims while you log off for a few hours to work sleep or what ever is ridiculous. I have a decent amount of hours into the game and not once did I even think stealing Pve land should be allowed or fair. Because once you start taking claims doesnt that and shouldn't that activate a pvp war or something? 

My mate and I literally had to stop what we where doing because we seen a contest alert go up. Needless to say we spent an 2 hours sitting doing nothing.  But I guess big tribes have a greed mindset and as a Ark player server will die yes but to a number thats low its barely active.

There are points at which I do agree with you on, though what I feel would really benefit us is proposing solutions to what we see as problems.

It does seem weird someone can try to steal your land and you are unable to kill them, but having that be a mechanic would inflame an entire new set of players. What we do is fast travel to that location and cancel their land claim; then fast travel back. They tend to give up most of the time.

When we log out we just log in our most important claims somewhere that animals can not aggro us and kill us; I have seen wolves aggro sleeping bodies through windows or single story houses so we build 2-3 story tall towers and log there. I have also seen animals jump onto ships and kill sleeping people.

Once the 3 days inactive required to claim land thing works consistently, though, holding land will be much easier for smaller companies and even solo players, and I am interested to see how that works in the coming days so we are all able to continue to provide the devs with constructive feedback and ideas.

A lot of the community is voicing what they don't like or agree with but not proposing a better solution. I personally really like the land claiming system but think that there should be some upkeep required, and that the game should be more visual about someone stealing your claim(s) other than giving you coordinates that show up on your screen for less than two seconds for you to play marco polo with. The coordinates should go in your company log and the claim should be colored differently on your map when someone is contesting or trying to claim it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bisbois said:

There are points at which I do agree with you on, though what I feel would really benefit us is proposing solutions to what we see as problems.

It does seem weird someone can try to steal your land and you are unable to kill them, but having that be a mechanic would inflame an entire new set of players. What we do is fast travel to that location and cancel their land claim; then fast travel back. They tend to give up most of the time.

When we log out we just log in our most important claims somewhere that animals can not aggro us and kill us; I have seen wolves aggro sleeping bodies through windows or single story houses so we build 2-3 story tall towers and log there. I have also seen animals jump onto ships and kill sleeping people.

Once the 3 days inactive required to claim land thing works consistently, though, holding land will be much easier for smaller companies and even solo players, and I am interested to see how that works in the coming days so we are all able to continue to provide the devs with constructive feedback and ideas.

A lot of the community is voicing what they don't like or agree with but not proposing a better solution. I personally really like the land claiming system but think that there should be some upkeep required, and that the game should be more visual about someone stealing your claim(s) other than giving you coordinates that show up on your screen for less than two seconds for you to play marco polo with. The coordinates should go in your company log and the claim should be colored differently on your map when someone is contesting or trying to claim it.

Sounds here and there good but im just coming into this with an Ark experience im not sure if you played Pve on there but the biggest downfall was claiming land with pillars over unreasonable chunks of the map. Come here see the flag circle good idea now realize you can place multiple and the flags start filling like the pillars on ark. Also by hogging land you could benefit and or injure the game. Now your talking about forcing people to join or good luck. On a pve server the last thing you expect is a fellow player taking land and things. 

And also with the pve contesting if this will remain a thing for when times up atleast they should give the option to fight back, yes it might be a bigger company your taking on with odds completely against you but at this point isnt the odds already against you?

Like you I like hearing the community very good ideas.

Edited by Dez_beard