Excelex

So how does it make sense to launch the servers

On 9/30/2019 at 5:47 AM, Redarcus said:

I think they should have made 2 extra servers for crossplay. That doing on the real XBox release date. So also people have a choice to want to get the playerbase of crossplay. Now we do not have a choice and i think they messed up a huge load of servers/ crossplay server setup and in back end regular network conncitons for PC players is lots more unstable as before. Why not did some more beta testing. Or make use of beta tab and let player role back to there last good working game version? Which was may more stable.

Each game world is a grid of 225 servers all interconnected. Two extra would be an additional 450 servers on top of the 900 the existing 4 grids represent. That’s a very significant cost and available information suggests the Xbox launch may be happening because funds for development costs are running low. 

Even if funding were not an issue, existing player populations dictate that if possible new players are added to existing grids rather than create even more grids just to create options. I agree completely that more testing should have been done. The Xbox launch feels rushed and doesn’t feel like the game will have a great chance to succeed in its current form.

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Each game world is a grid of 225 servers all interconnected. Two extra would be an additional 450 servers on top of the 900 the existing 4 grids represent. That’s a very significant cost and available information suggests the Xbox launch may be happening because funds for development costs are running low. 

Even if funding were not an issue, existing player populations dictate that if possible new players are added to existing grids rather than create even more grids just to create options. I agree completely that more testing should have been done. The Xbox launch feels rushed and doesn’t feel like the game will have a great chance to succeed in its current form.

Yeah maybe i am to old school i have no problems with early access. when was the time you fund a game out of deep company pockets and then make money with a finished game. You you use early access as beta testing and not to fund a game. Maybe i am to old school and think game company used to get money to shell stock shares and later get money for selling games.

11 hours ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

As for the testing, from what I understood, there were some new things added that could affect pvp and pve both differently, so to me if thats the case, then they should have tested both side by side to be sure. 

Are there other new things besides island geo rework and cats?   I went back and reread the Captain's Log and see that I've missed cosmetics and a new pistol, but those aren't going to be any different re. pvp/pve.    They do have a habit of announcing things in other places...is there more?

11 hours ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

As for the xbox part of it, again, I know they are doing in-house testing with that right now, but is that really the same as having that huge influx of players? I still remember initial release. Day 1 was absolutely nuts with issues that their in-house testing didn't provide enough 'bodies' (Pun intended 😉 ) to truly test out. 

That's why they only opened one server.  The latest server populations didn't provide enough bodies.  If you only open 1 server you get the max. number of players you're going to get.  They had @ 3000 players hitting the servers at the same time to get into the game.     If they had opened more than one server they'd have split that number.    Some companies use software to simulate thousands of attempted logins happening as well, so they may also be doing that.

But "testing the network" as they say they're doing is more than just logging into the game,  because every time you change zones, you're really making a network transfer to a new server.   And now this is happening with a new xbox client, and they need to make sure that the client handles these transfers right, and that their networks are configured properly to let that happen.  They also need to make sure that when they changed things for the new client, they didn't screw up anything for the old pc clients.  (Which seems to be the case with the zone full problem they found)  So you need a decent number of people connecting to the servers to put pressure on the network, but you don't need to do that exclusively with xbox connections.

The xbox client is the real new big thing here, and it could probably use a much better function test, so I'm guessing any problems that come up post-relaunch will be found there.

That's probably more explanation than anyone can stand, and I don't have admin access to those servers to verify it, but it's basically what should be happening with the test server.

It's really only a small bit unfair to some xbox players who wanted to play on NA PvP.  They can always go to EU PvP if they really want an empty server, but more important, this is another aspect of testing the game.  If this game is successful it's going to have new players joining all the time, and it's got to provide a way for new players to join a pvp server without having "fresh meat" stamped on their foreheads.  Grapeshot frequently does not anticipate issues, but needs to be shown them before they act, so if the new xbox players get crushed, this is something GS (along with every other gaming company in the business) will have to figure out - how to prevent newbie ganking.