Sign in to follow this  
Cascco

Where is that interaction/immersion

I am playing ATLAS since realase date only with my friend. First of all for me game is good, not perfect cause of EA but at least good. I wasnt expecting much i know how ARK was working. The problem devs are focusing on content not on interaction let me explain what i mean.

It supposed to me MMO, the idea with peace time is genius for ppl like me. I can sleep without beeing afraid of offline raiding like it is in ARK. Altho even if you will lose Island there is plenty new Islands you can take. Earning gold isnt hard so if you play like 3/4 hours a day you can easly keep your island. The problem is when you rly have trouble with greefers or real raiders, using bear with canon makes you that feel that all your effort was meaning totally zero. They just run with bear and shot all defence or with flames, it doesnt matter how much NPC you have, only matters if you ar eonline at this time and even if you 50 npc on defenceand you  play solo AND  there is like 10 ppl atacking you . You will not stand more than 1 hour (30 minutes + on puting Canon on island by enemy and 30 minutes shoting and raiding). Its just TOOOO EASY TO RAID. Defence doesnt matter, it should be stronger. Its to easy to raid.

Next thing immersion, where are those crowded freeports, where is that awasome trading or co-op with other players. For now you only build ships, gather res, breed animals and fight. Is just the same as ARK, it supposed to be MMO right ? So if i have some great BP for shipyards i cant sell them cause....its doesnt actually matter now. All ppl can have some in time , biggest Company had those in 1 week. What i mean BP arent so rare how they shopuld be. If BP are rare or they drop only in specific sectors it means better co-op cause than trading have sens, there is to much BP and they arent rare enough. No trading, no immersion, empty freeports. At least give more NPC there....

I want to visit freeport, go to Tavern drink beer with other Company, met new ppl. Enter to shop not only NPC. I want to enter shop and buy some goods. Where is it all ? Where is that immersion ? Yea i know its PvP game but hay, why we cant have more immersion ? Less freeports will make you force to travel, so more ppl will gather there and make some trading. Or tell stories how they were raiding other, why we cant met in peace zone and do it. Just build and fight build and fight....

How about some UI with trading window ? So we can check where we can find specific BP or who is selling what? What the point of putting trading shop now. There is none.

You add Islands, new features and content but there is ZERO immersion in this game. Pls change it.

Loyal player of ATLAS/Uganda 🙂 

Edited by Cascco

37 minutes ago, Cascco said:

I am playing ATLAS since realase date only with my friend. First of all for me game is good, not perfect cause of EA but at least good. I wasnt expecting much i know how ARK was working. The problem devs are focusing on content not on interaction let me explain what i mean.

It supposed to me MMO, the idea with peace time is genius for ppl like me. I can sleep without beeing afraid of offline raiding like it is in ARK. Altho even if you will lose Island there is plenty new Islands you can take. Earning gold isnt hard so if you play like 3/4 hours a day you can easly keep your island. The problem is when you rly have trouble with greefers or real raiders, using bear with canon makes you that feel that all your effort was meaning totally zero. They just run with bear and shot all defence or with flames, it doesnt matter how much NPC you have, only matters if you ar eonline at this time and even if you 50 npc on defenceand you  play solo AND  there is like 10 ppl atacking you . You will not stand more than 1 hour (30 minutes + on puting Canon on island by enemy and 30 minutes shoting and raiding). Its just TOOOO EASY TO RAID. Defence doesnt matter, it should be stronger. Its to easy to raid.

Next thing immersion, where are those crowded freeports, where is that awasome trading or co-op with other players. For now you only build ships, gather res, breed animals and fight. Is just the same as ARK, it supposed to be MMO right ? So if i have some great BP for shipyards i cant sell them cause....its doesnt actually matter now. All ppl can have some in time , biggest Company had those in 1 week. What i mean BP arent so rare how they shopuld be. If BP are rare or they drop only in specific sectors it means better co-op cause than trading have sens, there is to much BP and they arent rare enough. No trading, no immersion, empty freeports. At least give more NPC there....

I want to visit freeport, go to Tavern drink beer with other Company, met new ppl. Enter to shop not only NPC. I want to enter shop and buy some goods. Where is it all ? Where is that immersion ? Yea i know its PvP game but hay, why we cant have more immersion ? Less freeports will make you force to travel, so more ppl will gather there and make some trading. Or tell stories how they were raiding other, why we cant met in peace zone and do it. Just build and fight build and fight....

How about some UI with trading window ? So we can check where we can find specific BP or who is selling what? What the point of putting trading shop now. There is none.

You add Islands, new features and content but there is ZERO immersion in this game. Pls change it.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by making clear that it is not an absolute or binary thing I'm describing, but more a tendency or a sort of sliding scale. I have noticed over the years that games which focus on PVP tend to have low levels of immersion. I think there is a perfectly valid reason for this. Balancing PVP content appropriately is a mostly technical pursuit within the realm of game development, wheras creating immersion tends to fit in with storytelling as a game design function. Storytelling tends to be generally regarded as part and parcel of the pve experience of a game, so even in games that have both pvp and pve, most development teams tend to focus more heavily on one aspect or the other of their game.  I don't think there is much question that Atlas is being designed primarily with pvp in mind, and I say that as a mostly pve player in Atlas. 

Keeping this in mind, it has been my experience that it is a rare game indeed that is able to execute both pvp and an immersive storytelling experience well simultaneously. One is a more technical challenge while the other is about creative asthetics and artistic craftsmanship instead of numbers crunching. It would be great if Atlas suceeded in doing both at a high level, but I think right now this development team is perhaps struggling to craft a game that is compelling for either pvp or pve players, so if I were you I would tend to temper my expectations for a more immersive experience. I say this as someone who would love to see all the things you describe come to pass in Atlas, as I would very much like to play a version of Atlas that had them as well. I just think we shouldn't hold our breathe waiting for those things for the reason I've put forth.

But one can always hope, and it's good you have contributed your desires to the discussion, because this development team seems to be looking to it's playerbase right now for input on how we would like to see the game shaped going forward.

Edited by boomervoncannon

1 hour ago, Cascco said:

First off I agree it is too easy to train. But one again that is just like ark, almost to a T. 

Next, there can’t be an 8hour window because that simple still won’t work. You are right in this. I wouldn’t take 8 hours for a medium, let alone a Megas at the very least to wipe someone. The 8 hour raid timer was also one of the many bad decisions they made

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Realist said:

The 8 hour raid timer was also one of the many bad decisions they made

First of all it is not a raid timer - they added a peace timer...

Second in hindsight that was the best of the worst decisions to make by them for a completely different problem.
And it does not matter how long the peace timer is, it stays a bad solution.

What they should have done - which we are all crying about - is the way land PVP works and hip PVP works.
With the main concern that land PVP is broken in favor of the attacker. Before it was not possible to defend a base. Now at least you cannot defend a base for how long as there is no peace time.

See the problem? Still not possible to defend a base. Still too easy with practically zero cost (tame a bear, make some cannon balls) for the attacker.

Yeah I get it...
Because it the marketing idea to sell the game with the use of streamers you want to make attack look cool - ' see how easy we streamers that are not so good at PVP lay waste to this giant base, they have no chance against us!' so buy and have the same fun.
and when you bought the game you find out the other side. And because you have big problems getting to protect and expand you stuff, becoming a waste of time doing so, because you easily loose it anyway, people stop playing.
Well at least they generated money for the developers, right! Right?

So what do we got?
- Game that is developed around PVP to the point that PVE servers do not work for the players iA option to get rid of foundation spam, etc...

- Land PVP that is opposite of what it should be: cost for attacker > cost for defender - your stuff is save the moment it is not worth it to attack you... currently all your stuff is worthless, as it cost nothing to PVP it.

- ShipPVP almost not existent in a ship PVP based game = high sea piracy game (yeah yeah 'pirate fantasy game' what ever you want to make believe...) because the low hanging fruit for PVP in this game is Land PVP. Why waste a ship in PVP that cost more time/resources to make than getting a bear with cannon, especially if your ship gets sunk while anchored and you not there anyway...?

- Even if there were Ship PVP mainly going on it is without skill. I wonder why real world ships did not make the front/one-side/back-loading gun boats and so heavily relied on broadsides...?!?! Yeah, yeah, pirate fantasy game... and our customer generating streamers don't want to need player skills when they can get easy meta which only needs resources... totally understandable, but not so interesting for people that want to have a game with sailing gun boats... like most other people the got the game.
'But if we cannot build our ships how we like we loose the creativity...!' - said the player that builds his PVP ships like everyone else and can continue to lag in tactical creativity...

- Up until a few weeks ago, we also had the problem, that everyone was feeling entitled to owning his own claim/island. Although this is not really needed and for most small groups not even practical valid to do... Now we have the situation that the server population is so low, that literally everyone can get an island, only to find out that they really are too small to afford it - who would have known...?
'Lower the cost or get rid of claiming, if I cannot have, no one should!'

- As the population goes lower and lower because of this we are coming to the point of another wipe. For one to combine atleast the PVP and the PVE servers (doubling their pop). Also for the possibility that people will come back for the option of a fresh start.
If the server pop falls beneath a critical value everyone will leave and the game dies. That value is when the last remaining players cannot find someone to raid anymore as everyone else already left and their stuff is already raided. If the defender does not rebuild to get raided again, there is no raiding, so no game play...

- And don't forget you get nothing but OP tames in every mega patch, that no one wants or asked for...

I for one would wipe the servers, make only one PVP server (which a physically all in one place = Germany anyway) and get rid of the PVE servers that do not work anyway, because of this being a game designed around PVP mechanics (as stupid bad as they are...)
Fix land PVP so that NPC defenses work and therefore make cost of attacking higher for the attacker, even if the streamers and the Zerg would complain about their lack of skill...
Fix ship PVP in that it becomes realistic to attract the pirate game players... again don't mind the screams of the skill-less...
Make it so that PVE players are almost always protected in a claim, while the claim itself is PVP all the time and if it is unclaimed it gets lawless and even PVE can be raided.
That would also get rid of the giant - but useless defense structures being build all over the place taking more and more space that the owner actually does not need or want to build up, but has to... because he has to protect his ships, his to protect his tames... has to cover every spot on the map which could be used against him... and has to kick out everyone from the claim that is in the way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheepshooter said:

First of all it is not a raid timer - they added a peace timer...

Second in hindsight that was the best of the worst decisions to make by them for a completely different problem.
And it does not matter how long the peace timer is, it stays a bad solution.

What they should have done - which we are all crying about - is the way land PVP works and hip PVP works.
With the main concern that land PVP is broken in favor of the attacker. Before it was not possible to defend a base. Now at least you cannot defend a base for how long as there is no peace time.

See the problem? Still not possible to defend a base. Still too easy with practically zero cost (tame a bear, make some cannon balls) for the attacker.

Yeah I get it...
Because it the marketing idea to sell the game with the use of streamers you want to make attack look cool - ' see how easy we streamers that are not so good at PVP lay waste to this giant base, they have no chance against us!' so buy and have the same fun.
and when you bought the game you find out the other side. And because you have big problems getting to protect and expand you stuff, becoming a waste of time doing so, because you easily loose it anyway, people stop playing.
Well at least they generated money for the developers, right! Right?

So what do we got?
- Game that is developed around PVP to the point that PVE servers do not work for the players iA option to get rid of foundation spam, etc...

- Land PVP that is opposite of what it should be: cost for attacker > cost for defender - your stuff is save the moment it is not worth it to attack you... currently all your stuff is worthless, as it cost nothing to PVP it.

- ShipPVP almost not existent in a ship PVP based game = high sea piracy game (yeah yeah 'pirate fantasy game' what ever you want to make believe...) because the low hanging fruit for PVP in this game is Land PVP. Why waste a ship in PVP that cost more time/resources to make than getting a bear with cannon, especially if your ship gets sunk while anchored and you not there anyway...?

- Even if there were Ship PVP mainly going on it is without skill. I wonder why real world ships did not make the front/one-side/back-loading gun boats and so heavily relied on broadsides...?!?! Yeah, yeah, pirate fantasy game... and our customer generating streamers don't want to need player skills when they can get easy meta which only needs resources... totally understandable, but not so interesting for people that want to have a game with sailing gun boats... like most other people the got the game.
'But if we cannot build our ships how we like we loose the creativity...!' - said the player that builds his PVP ships like everyone else and can continue to lag in tactical creativity...

- Up until a few weeks ago, we also had the problem, that everyone was feeling entitled to owning his own claim/island. Although this is not really needed and for most small groups not even practical valid to do... Now we have the situation that the server population is so low, that literally everyone can get an island, only to find out that they really are too small to afford it - who would have known...?
'Lower the cost or get rid of claiming, if I cannot have, no one should!'

- As the population goes lower and lower because of this we are coming to the point of another wipe. For one to combine atleast the PVP and the PVE servers (doubling their pop). Also for the possibility that people will come back for the option of a fresh start.
If the server pop falls beneath a critical value everyone will leave and the game dies. That value is when the last remaining players cannot find someone to raid anymore as everyone else already left and their stuff is already raided. If the defender does not rebuild to get raided again, there is no raiding, so no game play...

- And don't forget you get nothing but OP tames in every mega patch, that no one wants or asked for...

I for one would wipe the servers, make only one PVP server (which a physically all in one place = Germany anyway) and get rid of the PVE servers that do not work anyway, because of this being a game designed around PVP mechanics (as stupid bad as they are...)
Fix land PVP so that NPC defenses work and therefore make cost of attacking higher for the attacker, even if the streamers and the Zerg would complain about their lack of skill...
Fix ship PVP in that it becomes realistic to attract the pirate game players... again don't mind the screams of the skill-less...
Make it so that PVE players are almost always protected in a claim, while the claim itself is PVP all the time and if it is unclaimed it gets lawless and even PVE can be raided.
That would also get rid of the giant - but useless defense structures being build all over the place taking more and more space that the owner actually does not need or want to build up, but has to... because he has to protect his ships, his to protect his tames... has to cover every spot on the map which could be used against him... and has to kick out everyone from the claim that is in the way...

No. Pvp and pve won’t wipe so they can merge. I do see na and Eu merging but not pvp and pve. The way I said does not require a wipe.

the way you said it not only requires a wipe but it would require a complete rework. That won’t happen.

i agree with you on everything accept that one point.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

No. Pvp and pve won’t wipe so they can merge. I do see na and Eu merging but not pvp and pve. The way I said does not require a wipe.

the way you said it not only requires a wipe but it would require a complete rework. That won’t happen.

i agree with you on everything accept that one point.

Except. 🤓

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Except. 🤓

Oh wow, that was a pretty bad mistake. Alcohol was involved lol

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Oh wow, that was a pretty bad mistake. Alcohol was involved lol

There are far greater sins, like using a non Duke's brand mayonnaise on your tomato sandwich, or dumping sugar into unsweetened tea and trying to tell a southerner it's sweet tea (blasphemy!).

• Like 2

Make it so that PVE players are almost always protected in a claim, while the claim itself is PVP all the time and if it is unclaimed it gets lawless and even PVE can be raided

That is so great idea. Man you have beer from me if they will do so.

23 hours ago, Realist said:

- Well if they "merge" the two PVP or the two PVE server into each other, how do you think they will do it?
Just copy the one server onto the other like a break in space time continuum, with bases from both servers clipping into each other...? And who gets the claim flag?
No, when the merge aka get rid of one server each, at least one servers data will get lost and those players have to start over. And as that would be unfair to the players on the deleted server they make a wipe on the other as well so everyone gets to start new.
Same goes for the possibility to merge PVE and PVP servers all into one.
BTW they ain't call it EA for nothing...!
Also bonus would be they get rid of all the illegal level ups and exploited items...

- Of course they would have to make a complete rework for every major change to the game.
And obviously they have to do something, as the current state of the game mechanic kills it off.
But we are all confident that with the new sea horse tame at least 40k players will return, because that is what everyone was waiting for... NOT

9 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

- Well if they "merge" the two PVP or the two PVE server into each other, how do you think they will do it?
Just copy the one server onto the other like a break in space time continuum, with bases from both servers clipping into each other...? And who gets the claim flag?
No, when the merge aka get rid of one server each, at least one servers data will get lost and those players have to start over. And as that would be unfair to the players on the deleted server they make a wipe on the other as well so everyone gets to start new.
Same goes for the possibility to merge PVE and PVP servers all into one.
BTW they ain't call it EA for nothing...!
Also bonus would be they get rid of all the illegal level ups and exploited items...

- Of course they would have to make a complete rework for every major change to the game.
And obviously they have to do something, as the current state of the game mechanic kills it off.
But we are all confident that with the new sea horse tame at least 40k players will return, because that is what everyone was waiting for... NOT

Wasn’t too happy about the sea horse either. There are a lot more mythical creatures they should be introducing