Omegacomet

Weather Balloons..Could be the answer?

Weather Balloons = A weather or sounding balloon is a balloon (specifically a type of high-altitude balloon) that carries instruments aloft to send back information on atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity and wind speed by means of a small, expendable measuring device called a radiosonde. To obtain wind data, they can be tracked by radar, radio direction finding, or navigation systems (such as the satellite-based Global Positioning System, GPS).

Ok So hear me out guys, a fellow guildie was thinking what if there was an item in the game similar to a weather balloon that could A. Forecast the Weather, and B. Give the direction of wind for a zone. Sometimes I get frustrated when planning a trip 3 zones away only for the grid winds to look like this <----- then ---> before I get to my destination. I was thinking not something that Shows the entire Grid but one that at least shows its own grid and the surrounding ones as well. Thoughts???

Burst_Diameter_Weather_Balloon_large.jpgworldview1.jpg?fit=500,339

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_balloon

Credit: Unclesid25

Edited by Omegacomet
Updated Credit Info.

Would the item be craft able or naturally present in the zone? If craftable would it be limited or unlimited uses? Would a ship be able to use it while underway or would it need to drop anchor in order to run up the balloon? Also how can I personally make money off this? Please PM to discuss mutually profitable licensing of in game balloon tech to Boomer Inc.