Dr Lurch

Sail PNG Resolution

Hello game developers,

The current size of the PNGs used for custom sails are 256x256. In real life, I'd only feel comfortable printing this size at 2.56x2.56 inches, or 3.5x3.5 inches if I were feeling sloppy and desperate. Yet here this images cross 10x10 inch spaces on our screens. If you look closely at the attached images, you can see pixelation.

You're putting a lot of work into appeasing the gun-toters of the player community, as well you should. However, you could broaden your playerbase by attracting more artists. Would 1024x1024 be much larger than the texture graphics you're using elsewhere?

This seems like low-hanging fruit. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your time.

20190209222544_1.jpg

20190217172704_1.jpg

• Like 1

I would love being able to use higher resolution on sails. Canvases too, but you can work around that with using multiple canvases. But sails are so large and sit there right in your face in view pretty much any time you're sailing, so the sails are in the most need of higher resolution.

I've had lots of people in my company ask me to make sail designs for them. The hardest part is just making something that looks half decent even when pixelated. The more complex the image is, the worse it turns out.

Even 512x512 feels like it would be restrictive, but I could work with that a lot better.

• Like 1

We've practically crashed servers by painting multiple boat's sails at the same time.  They need to do some work on that before they can think about upping the resolution thus the amount of data needing to be pushed to the server, stored and synched with clients in render range.  I hope they do.  Its early and hopefully this is on their to do list.  Not a huge issue right now with the PTR coming up and a content patch.