Sign in to follow this  
Shepard_Fury

Ship and Cannon Physics

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is having an amazing day πŸ˜„

Okay, lets talk ships and cannons. I love the impact the game has when you do ship battles and i most say it's the best sail ship combat on the market right now.
The factors i see giving this feeling is really well made waves, modular ships, animations/smoke and feeling of force. I'm not going to touch on team play because it a more
sophisticated thing then i want to touch on in this post but a good thin atm πŸ˜„

However, the one thing that i think could make this even better would be to add some resistance and more impact when firing and getting hit by a cannon ball. Like the amount of movement generated by a large canon should push the ship hard depending on the size of the ship πŸ˜„Β 

If you put a large cannon on a sloop and you fire it, it should push the ship in the opposite direction. It could even take in water so you need buckets to empty it after a shot πŸ˜›
I think it would make sense that a small ship would take hull damage form having a big cannon fired form it. It would also be amazing if large cannons had some
kinetic punch to it if you hit another ship.

What do you guys think? and would it be easy to add to the physics?

I really like this idea my self πŸ˜› just saying πŸ™‚
Lets build on the strong points of this game πŸ˜‰

Best regards
o/Shep
EU-Pvp

Β 

Someone else suggested that only decks should have the strength to support the force of a cannon being fired and that if you put them on a ceiling then the ceiling would take damage. I really liked the idea and your cannon part this is an extension of this in that the force would affect the handling of the ship in general. I do like the idea and would like to see weight and distribution play a bigger role in how ships handled but I feelΒ this is likely to be a lot of programming work that may put it out of reach.

Real physics as gameplay mechanic in an mmo? Hell no! please not! That game would be stuck in EA for 4 years instead of 2 if they do that xD

"Fake" Physics ? Yes please!
Let's keep it simple and fun, cause its a game :D

What I want to see is that the ship is leaning into the wind because of the wind in the sails. I am not sure if they do this.
But this has led to interesting strategies in naval combat. I forgot the fancy words for upwind and downwind but your ship should get a decreased range on the side it is leaning to. The opposite for the other side. So your positioning becomes more important.

I am not sure if it would add much benefit if sloops or schooner react to cannon shots :(