Sign in to follow this  
mrcrash

What kinda of market are we talking about ?

So what kind of market do the devs have in mind ? at a high level over simplify. by comparison, we think eve like or WoW like ? i hope we are thinking eve like.

6 minutes ago, mrcrash said:

So what kind of market do the devs have in mind ? at a high level over simplify. by comparison, we think eve like or WoW like ? i hope we are thinking eve like.

I think a they are hoping to create a decentralized market with no central ingame interface. I have no evidence for this other than inferring from the fact they have stated they want economy to be a focus for the game but did not put a central interface in at EA launch. I think the player shops that are coming support this inference, but it’s by no means a strong hypothesis. They have stated Eve is the game they plan to pattern Atlas upon.

I think the basic idea is they hope players will form ongoing trade relationships over time, with company A in one biome trading company B regularly for resources specific to their regions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I think a they are hoping to create a decentralized market with no central ingame interface. I have no evidence for this other than inferring from the fact they have stated they want economy to be a focus for the game but did not put a central interface in at EA launch. I think the player shops that are coming support this inference, but it’s by no means a strong hypothesis. They have stated Eve is the game they plan to pattern Atlas upon.

I think the basic idea is they hope players will form ongoing trade relationships over time, with company A in one biome trading company B regularly for resources specific to their regions.

That sounds good, that would support a player courier service 🙂   That would be fun, i think since I am PVE centric, they need to add a little more risk to the PVE end to make a courier service fun but not reaching to much.

The thing that worries me is that the patch notes say 'Playershops in freeports'.  The majority of the traders I talk to would rather have it be a placeable NPC on their claims.

1 hour ago, MeatSammich said:

The thing that worries me is that the patch notes say 'Playershops in freeports'.  The majority of the traders I talk to would rather have it be a placeable NPC on their claims.

They may want this, but the smarter move is Freeports. Commodity traders and crew vendors to say nothing of cosmetic vendors mean Freeport’s will be regular destinations of higher level players. If you want to sell , put your goods in the path of the buyer, don’t make the buyer come to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

They may want this, but the smarter move is Freeports. Commodity traders and crew vendors to say nothing of cosmetic vendors mean Freeport’s will be regular destinations of higher level players. If you want to sell , put your goods in the path of the buyer, don’t make the buyer come to you.

Makes sense from one perspective, but, kills the exploration and socialization aspects if you're only going from your base to a Freeport.

Additionally, from an ease of access point, Freeports are relatively few and far between. In the time it takes someone to sail 6-7 grids that they have to cross to get to a Freeport, and then the same 6-7 back, they could just stop at an island halfway there to farm the mats themselves in the time (and risk) saved.

They could always do the same and farm on the island 2 grids away from them that the vendor has their shop set up on, but at that point they're spending more time farming, than they would in transit.

It would also open up additional markets. if I don't have a resource near me, and travel 7 grids away and buy it from someone selling it for lets call it 1g/10 darkwood for simplicity, I can now take it back to my claim, put it on my vendor, and mark it up it to 3g/10 darkwood, or whatever my neighbors will pay,  to make a profit. Hell, something harvested in L13 could be sold that way all the way up in C2, traveling through 3 or 4 middlemen, each buying and reselling at a profit the farther from the source you go.

Edited by MeatSammich