Sign in to follow this  
xMidnightxWolf

Whats up with these governance settings?

So from my  understanding, a GM told me that you can make your ship personally owned by tweaking your governance settings. Did I misread him/her or is this true? 

Just to be sure I tested it out. I set my governance settings all to personally owned and then joined a company. I built a shipyard and a schooner. Then I left the company. Sure enough, the shipyard remained in my ownership. The schooner however, remained in the companies ownership. Am I missing something? Or is this just how its designed to be?

I'm not perfect, I have my flaws. One of those flaws being trust issues(If you could even call that a flaw in todays society). I want to be in a guild, but I don't wanna be forced to lose ownership of the things that I spend most of my time creating on this game just to have friends to play with. Who's to say my company leader one day decides "You know what, F this guy I don't want him in my company anymore" or "I'm tired of companies, I wanna play by myself" and then boots me? What then? I'm doomed to be a landlubber until I manage to gather thousands upon thousands of resources again to build a new ship thats what... Why? Because for some odd reason ships aren't included in the structures section of the governance settings. But the golden question is: WHY!? Ships and the whole naval shmick is like 75% of this games content. You cant progress unless you tame the waves of the sea. And you cant do that unless you have a ship. I could care less about losing a base. But a ship is more important than a base. I just really dont understand why ships arent in the governance settings it makes absolutely no sense at all no matter how look at it...

You raise an interesting point. At first glance I don’t see any reason ships and only ships should be treated differently within the governance system.

• Like 1

Its really unnecessary to even have governance settings. In a game like Conan Exiles, its kept simple yet effective. If you're not that player, you can't access the structures that player created. All that needs to be done is change how access works for each individual player. If that player doesn't want people accessing their things, they can set it like that. If they want comrades like guildies able to access it but no outsiders, they can set it like that. These governance settings are unnecessarily too complicated. Imo "ownership" shouldn't even be a thing in the game.

I created it, therefore only I can access it. If I decide, you can access it too.

Its really as simple as this.^

Nothing more needs to be of it. The structures have enough protection. We have pin codes and we can lock certain things. Ships cant be sunk from weight anymore because you will be forced to kill yourself if you hop on someone elses boat. So with all that being understood, why in gods green earth do these devs decide to leave the governance setting feature in and continue to leave out ships? And more importantly, why are governance settings even a thing? Like I said, it really seems unnecessary...I'm not an admin in my company. Therefore I cant make changes to my ship even though its my ship. I have to wait for an admin or the leader to come make the changes for me. This all really discourages me from even being in a company...Its not a big deal that my stuff now belongs to the company. Because I trust them and I trust that they wont ever screw me over like they examples I stated in my post. But still, none of that vaporizes the negative thought that my stuff no longer belongs to me even though I put in the work to create them...

41 minutes ago, xMidnightxWolf said:

Its really unnecessary to even have governance settings. In a game like Conan Exiles, its kept simple yet effective. If you're not that player, you can't access the structures that player created. All that needs to be done is change how access works for each individual player. If that player doesn't want people accessing their things, they can set it like that. If they want comrades like guildies able to access it but no outsiders, they can set it like that. These governance settings are unnecessarily too complicated. Imo "ownership" shouldn't even be a thing in the game.

I created it, therefore only I can access it. If I decide, you can access it too.

Its really as simple as this.^

Nothing more needs to be of it. The structures have enough protection. We have pin codes and we can lock certain things. Ships cant be sunk from weight anymore because you will be forced to kill yourself if you hop on someone elses boat. So with all that being understood, why in gods green earth do these devs decide to leave the governance setting feature in and continue to leave out ships? And more importantly, why are governance settings even a thing? Like I said, it really seems unnecessary...I'm not an admin in my company. Therefore I cant make changes to my ship even though its my ship. I have to wait for an admin or the leader to come make the changes for me. This all really discourages me from even being in a company...Its not a big deal that my stuff now belongs to the company. Because I trust them and I trust that they wont ever screw me over like they examples I stated in my post. But still, none of that vaporizes the negative thought that my stuff no longer belongs to me even though I put in the work to create them...

Most games have a line of separation between personal things and company things, and the fact that this one doesn't can really screw someone over if they join the wrong company, or if you just want to leave the company for whatever reason. It would be nice if they'd address that.

In my company for example, I'm the only one that's logged in for over a week. What if I wanted to join an active company? I'm not the owner, so the base I built single-handedly and the galleon I built 90% of myself, not to mention the territory I personally claimed, I lose all of it. I may lose all of it anyway because I'm the only active player now and what the company loses I lose while I'm a member. 

So yeah, it's kind of a bad system for individuals. You're in for a penny, in for a pound whether you want to be or not.