RenWmn

Identifying Core Base Building Limitations and Potential Solutions

Grapeshot recognizes a Land Claim problem and is working on fixing it.  "Please see the quote below from the recent Captain's Log"  Now is the time for us to give feedback and suggestions before anything is carved in stone.  I had some ideas that I was thinking about placing in suggestions area, but as a systems analyst I recognize that identify exactly what the problem is to be fixed is important.   So let's identify problems that we see as server owners and then when offering any suggestions tie it to those problems. As server owners I believe we are in a unique position to pinpoint and evaluate this problem not only for unofficial servers but for official as well.

"First of all, we’ll be revamping the Land Claim/Ownership System. We recognize that for a lot of players, land is incredibly difficult to get, and in some cases impossible, unless you’re in a lawless zone or playing with a large group. This is something we’re planning on addressing by introducing some new mechanisms related to land claiming, such as upkeep, as well as some possible limitations which we’ll be able to cover precisely in the next Captain’s Log, as we’re still hashing out the details."

PROBLEM

New players and small tribes are finding it difficult to find areas to build on so that they can enjoy the fullness of Atlas content. Land is also needed to build a shipyard to build a ship.  Players can get stranded if their ship is destroyed and they can't build! This very problem can be a deal breaker for new players and can cause them to quit outright. For Atlas to succeed it is going to need a steady injection of new players and it needs to retain players. Solo and small tribes are going to be important to long term success.  

CURRENT MECHANICS CONTRIBUTING TO ISSUE

Claim flags seem to be the biggest roadblock to players being able to build bases on land. Issues:

• Top Companies based on number of claim flags - this encourages more land claiming when that is a major issue!
  • Taxes - The whole tax system encourages players to have claims just for resources
  • Ark Feudalism - While the idea of owning land that others build on is novel, players want to want to OWN land!
  • No cap on claim flags per individual or tribe - there is no system in place to limit a company or individual on the amount of claims they can have
  • Claims are easy to place - Instead of tying land ownership to something that takes time like building, claims are very quick and easy way to claim a good portion of land.
  • Claims can't be sized to company needs - No matter what size base or structures someone is building. This means companies may be claiming more land than they actually need. 
  • Water claims are huge - Water claims are particular huge and compound the problem of amount of land claimed.
  • Land can't be claimed even NEAR  claim flags - this creates an inefficient use of land as sometimes there are areas in between claims that could hold bases and are not used. 
  • Circular design adding to issue? - would square be more efficient use of space.
  • Claims don't go away on their own - new players have to go to particular effort to find a claim with good amount of decay and the ability to contest .
  • Complicated timers - Still trying to figure out what factors go into claim decay.
  • Contesting Claims can be disrupted by those outside of claim ownership - To my understanding, you don't even need to be a member of the company that owns a claim to disrupt? 
  • Company owners/admins can't limit which members can claim land
  • Company owners/admins can't tell who is claiming land or has placed a claim
  • Company owners/admins can't limit the type of claims set - company only, company and allies, etc.
  • No tool for Company owners to easily see how much land is claimed and detailed about the claims

No good water base options
One alternative to having a base on land is having one at sea. Some companies / individuals could be perfectly happy with that.  While non-land bases would come with their own challenges it could solve part of the core issue. Obstructions to water bases:

• There is no good ship for optimal base use - Players can't build beyond hardly beyond the sides of ships.
  • There is no vessel designed for base building.
  • Crops can't be grown on ships
  • There are no options for floating / immobile bases
  • Weight restrictions prohibit / limit boat base building

Land is limited per map square - while server owners and map designers have the ability to change map squares, the official map is mostly water with limited land.

SERVER OWNER CHALLENGES
Server owner/admins ability to combat the core issue is limited.

• Claim flags can not be easily destroyed or taken ownership of
  • Claim flags can't be limited per company/individual
  • No way to wipe JUST CLAIMS from a map - This could be an easy way to half clean a map as decay timers would start on buildings.
  • No option to allow beds to be placed in non-claim areas
  • Claim flag decay can't be controlled?
  • Claim amount only counts LAND claims and water claims can't be limited
  • No official tools in place to easily identify how many claims a company has
  • No ship settings - changing qualities like carry weight, allowing crop growing on ships, ability to build outside of ship limits
  • No way to remove banks and/or control tax levels
  • No way to disable or control claim flag settings (Company and allies, everyone build)

Does anyone else see any issues / challenges not addressed? What do you all see as the worst issues? 

I do want to talk about possible solutions but it is good to clearly identify what the problem is and what may be contributing to it first.  Thoughts?

I've been playing Atlas every day since it was released in EA and have opened servers shortly after files were available.  Still there absolutely could be things I got wrong about mechanics and the limitations of server owners. Please inform me of any errors.  (Politely please?) 

Edited by RenWmn
  • Like 1