Just a quick thought I had, not even fully thought out yet. Create some areas inside cliffs or the ground where you can break into the surface and dig down, not too far but enough so that you can create a network of mine shafts (maybe limited to areas you have claimed to stop griefing and so its not game breaking). This way you could get more resources like gems, oil, metal nodes and maybe even make nodes in the ground have a higher mineable content so you can get a lot more out of them making it more worth it. You could also add into the game things like wooden supports for the shafts to stop cave ins, mine carts and rails to run them on and other things related to mining in the era. Like I said at the start, I haven't fully thought this out yet but I think it could add a new layer to the game and be a lot of fun. Thanks

pretty much need voxels to do that, like minecraft, wurmonline, planet explorers and nomansky. 

Otherwise it would have to be preexisting caves that you can mine nodes, like ark caves just make that the main purpose.   

Terrain is not dynamic in this game, performance already gets bad with dynamic structures and boats forcing limits that still have horrible drawin - can you imagine how much worse dynamic terrain would make it?

Edited by krazmuze