Sign in to follow this  
Kast

Another Offline Raiding Thread (with a suggestion)

Offline raiding: it's the bane of persistent PvP world games with player-owned structures, and it's especially annoying in Atlas, where anchored ships are completely at the mercy of one naked knucklehead with an explosive barrel. So, how about this...

Once a ship drops anchor, players have the option to put their ship into Harbored mode.  After 60 minutes, the Harbored ship goes into 'hardened mode' (like stations in EVE), and all damage is reduced by 90%. Hardened/harbored mode ends when the anchor is raised. To prevent abuse, harbored ship guns cannot be fired and beds do not work. You're effectively putting the ship into armored stasis while you're offline.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great suggestion to me. Ofc there is always the law of unintended consequences to be dealt with, but given the truth of what you said about offline raiding being persistently problematic in pvp games with player owned structures, I think it's time developers start getting a bit more creative in their approaches to tackling said issue, and I think your idea is as good as any I've seen.

• Like 1

I would like anchored ships to be safe from say 1am - 5pm...allows people to go to work or have a life outside of atlas knowing there boats will be ok

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Logand333 said:

I would like anchored ships to be safe from say 1am - 5pm...allows people to go to work or have a life outside of atlas knowing there boats will be ok

You would have to account for time zones across regions.  The OP's suggestion works because it accounts for this by allowing the end user to set this.   Your suggestion would require the server to track the time zone you are in based on your IP and then apply the safety net at the correct time.  This adds a detriment to the sever as well as an easily abused system for people who have access to VPN's(toss themselves into a different zone and get protection while they are online then back to their normal zone so they get it while they are offline as well).

• Like 1