vaylain

There is NO PVP in offline raiding so why is it allowed?

2 minutes ago, labatts said:

A debuff like you mention with stats/ skills.

We're talking about pemanent loss of skills and stats, not a debuff. And that was in a game where being killed by another player merely meant loosing some dirt cheap items and you have plenty stored in your house or bank box.

Just now, LaiTash said:

We're talking about pemanent loss of skills and stats, not a debuff. And that was in a game where being killed by another player merely meant loosing some dirt cheap items and you have plenty stored in your house or bank box.

So instead you would rather have a mechanic in game that can be easily exploited which alot of people have been crying about with other things? I would suggest instead just adding a structure buff while people are offline so items take less explosive damage and cost to raid a offlined base increase dramatically.

Just now, labatts said:

So instead you would rather have a mechanic in game that can be easily exploited which alot of people have been crying about with other things?

Somehow other games don't have the "easily exploited" problem. But as i said i don't care, if instead of ORP we'll be able to kill the bad guys permanently i'm all for it.

5 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Somehow other games don't have the "easily exploited" problem. But as i said i don't care, if instead of ORP we'll be able to kill the bad guys permanently i'm all for it.

You mention other games. Only other games that have ORP that i know of is Ark and rust which i havent played in a while. You mention EVE as well which I havent played. But Ark servers that have ORP are exploited all the time. Run 2 accounts like i said and have the base built by 1 account and pin code everything then on the 2nd just use that one to use the base and everything in it while 1st is logged off thats 24/7 protection from being raided thats 1 example right there how its extremely broken. 

3 minutes ago, labatts said:

Only other games that have ORP that i know of is Ark and rust

You don't play many games do you? Almost all other MMOs either have ORP,  or siege mechanics, or vulnerability windows, or safe bank boxes, or karma systems, or safezones, and most of them have several of these mechanics at once. How many MMOs that lived for more than a few months can you name that have none of this, except for Atlas?

Edited by LaiTash

Just now, LaiTash said:

You don't play many games do you? Almost all other MMOs either have ORP,  or siege mechanics, or vulnerability windows, or safe bank boxes, or karma systems, or safezones, and most of them have several of these mechanics at once. How many MMOs that lived for more than a few months can you name that have none of this, except for Atlas?

I have played qutie a few but not lately. Those games are also setup very differently than Atlas. And there are no other games that have this type of game mechanic that is why it had alot of hype. 

1 minute ago, labatts said:

I have played qutie a few but not lately. Those games are also setup very differently than Atlas. And there are no other games that have this type of game mechanic that is why it had alot of hype. 

And what is it so special about atlas?

I'd say eve is very similar to atlas, just more balanced.

Just now, LaiTash said:

And what is it so special about atlas?

I'd say eve is very similar to atlas, just more balanced.

That you can build anywhere its a Sandbox game which allows for the total destruction / loss of everything at any point. You can do whatever you want, and play how you want. What other MMO has that ?

5 minutes ago, labatts said:

That you can build anywhere its a Sandbox game which allows for the total destruction / loss of everything at any point.

Yes it's a sandbox game. No you can't build anywhere but there are places where you can't build in atlas too. No you can't destroy anyone completely, just inflict serious losses to the point where they stop being a threat forever. But total destruction is a bad idea for a successful MMO anyways. Atlas won't survive a year if it doesn't abandon it. From the looks of it it won't survive half a year.

Edited by LaiTash

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

Yes it's a sandbox game. No you can't build anywhere but there are places where you can't build in atlas too. No you can't destroy anyone completely, just inflict serious losses to the point where they stop being a threat forever. But total destruction is a bad idea for a successful MMO anyways. Atlas won't survive a year if it doesn't abandon it.

Atlas wont survive another year due to other issues than not having ORP. That will be up to the devs whether or not they can fix the game and add content. Right now the game is lacking serious content for trying to be an MMO. 

4 minutes ago, labatts said:

Right now the game is lacking serious content for trying to be an MMO. 

It has more than enough content for a sandbox MMO. You can build, you can kill, and you can sail.

But people who loose everything they've been working for tend to quit, especially if they loose everything while sleeping. Most of us aren't into playing a Sisyphus torture simulator. 

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 2

It's clear the people who don't mind the constant offline destruction haven't dealt with it or are active participants in it and they don't want the complaints to derail their gravy train. Go figure, though... EVE tackled all of these kinds of struggles over the last decade and a half. It's surprising Atlas hasn't incorporated similar versions of those concepts such as Sov, high security/low security areas, neutral areas of operation that aren't freeports... the list could really go on and on.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

It has more than enough content for a sandbox MMO. You can build, you can kill, and you can sail.

But people who loose everything they've been working for tend to quit, especially if they loose everything while sleeping. Most of us aren't into playing a Sisyphus torture simulator. 

So then what your saying is that if they are online and get totally wiped they will quit as well. So now might as well add a complete resistance to all buildings so no ones quits lol. 

Edited by labatts

1 minute ago, labatts said:

So then what your saying is that is if they are online and get totally wiped they will quit as well. So now might as well add a complete resistance to all buildings so no ones quits lol. 

clearly a stretch, the guy's been overexplaining the same point to you for three pages. Good fights are good content. Killing people that are logged off and looting everything they have isn't content, it's glorified harvesting.

1 minute ago, Rovalis said:

clearly a stretch, the guy's been overexplaining the same point to you for three pages. Good fights are good content. Killing people that are logged off and looting everything they have isn't content, it's glorified harvesting.

And i have been trying to tell you that ORP will be abused. Its been proven in Ark. Which will have the same issue here. 

9 hours ago, Itsme said:

I do not understand your point. I assume you are saying offline works both ways as there is always someone sleeping when others are awake? 

I am saying you are 100% right, no really. I am.

All those people online when others are offline due to their respective schedules. What can they do? Who can they raid? It's an unsolvable mystery and conundrum.

We will require the worlds greatest, nay GREATEST minds to solve this.

35 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

We will require the worlds greatest, nay GREATEST minds to solve this.

Vulnerability windows set by owners, a single world for NA and EU, limited safe storage at freeports, it's all been successfully solved before by developers of the most successfull territory control sandbox MMO. There's no need to even invent anything, just adapt what's already invented and proven to be effective to Atlas.

Edited by LaiTash

8 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Vulnerability windows set by owners, a single world for NA and EU, limited safe storage at freeports, it's all been successfully solved before by developers of the most successfull territory control sandbox MMO. There's no need to even invent anything, just adapt what's already invented and proven to be effective to Atlas.

But those games are different than Atlas in many ways. You would have to change the conecpt of the game to the point it wouldnt be Atlas anymore. It would dumb it down and make it appeal to carebears. 

Just now, labatts said:

But those games are different than Atlas in many ways. You would have to change the conecpt of the game to the point it wouldnt be Atlas anymore. It would dumb it down and make it appeal to carebears. 

That's why i say adapt. It's absolutely possible to do that without changing the whole game. 

And since when Eve is a carebear game?

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

That's why i say adapt. It's absolutely possible to do that without changing the whole game. 

And since when Eve is a carebear game?

This isn't EVE remember. You would be changing what people like about atlas and the ones that are playing official PVP. I would go as far as to suggest the ones playing in the PVP right now like it the way it is without ORP. Otherwise why would they be wasting their time if they do not like the way its setup ? 

26 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

You may have missed some obvious sarcasm there fella directed at the original point the guy made whilst missing the obvious flaw i what he was saying.

However, I agree. Plenty of ways to provide offline protection in various forms to choose from

24 minutes ago, labatts said:

I would go as far as to suggest the ones playing in the PVP right now like it the way it is without ORP. Otherwise why would they be wasting their time if they do not like the way its setup ? 

Because they like sailing and participating in PvP. As in actual pvp - here's you, there's your enemy, you shoot everything you got at each other. Doesn't necessarily mean they like waking up (sometimes in a cage too) only to see that they need to start from scratch again without even having a chance to fight back.

Edited by LaiTash

10 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Because they like sailing and participating in PvP. As in actual pvp - here's you, there's your enemy, you shoot everything you got at each other. Doesn't necessarily mean they like waking up (sometimes in a cage too) only to see that they need to start from scratch again without even having a chance to fight back.

But that is what makes this game so great is being able to lose everything and starting over again. It worked for ark and official servers are still populated. How will this be any different ?? Why does it need to have any protection at all ? 

Just now, labatts said:

But that is what makes this game so great is being able to lose everything and starting over again

No. Certainly not when you can't even defend because you're offline. What makes this game so great for me is being able to build my ship, travel around the world (not really possible without abusing freeports) and have fun PvPing with (or running away from) other ships.

3 minutes ago, labatts said:

It worked for ark and official servers are still populated.

Ark is a small scale survival game. Atlas is a large scale MMO with ships that you can't hide or honeycomb with 10 layers of stone.

3 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

No. Certainly not when you can't even defend because you're offline. What makes this game so great for me is being able to build my ship, travel around the world (not really possible without abusing freeports) and have fun PvPing with (or running away from) other ships.

Ark is a small scale survival game. Atlas is a large scale MMO with ships that you can't hide or honeycomb with 10 layers of stone.

Atlas is a large scale survival game. Did you play ark at all ? Well that is why you need to setup defenses to help protect  your base. Or even ally up other companies for protection. 

Edited by labatts