Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

Time to put limits on claims

The claim patch was a good idea, but I don't think it's going to make much difference in the number of people who are having a hard time finding land to claim.  I really think there ought to be a restriction on the # of claims.

Here's why I think there has to be a flag limit -  I spent the entire day today traveling around NA pve in the temperate zone searching -  from 6AM EST until @3 PM.    Checked every inch of coastline and didn't find one claimable spot.  Well, I found one tiny one, but it was overlapped.  Now sure, that's just one day searching and just a few zones, but it was every coast, every island in all those zones, and more importantly, it was right after a surprise patch in the middle of the night on a weeknight which booted a bunch of absent claimers.    You'd expect to see something, and if you don't see anything in 3 zones, you can figure the number isn't going to be great across the board.  Mostly I saw companies with HUGE amounts of land.  It looked like @ 3 or 4 companies owned every zone, for the most part.  Maybe they're big companies and need that much land..who knows?  Maybe it's only 10 people.

This isn't a surprise.  If you look at all the threads complaining about claims, a good number of the complaints are from people who already HAVE claims saying their neighbor has been gone, they can't claim his land, and wanting fixes for problems preventing them from expanding their claims.  People today are reporting that the big companies went through early this morning grabbing up whatever was available.  If a land claim is ticking down, you know the neighbors know about that and will be there when it expires.  There's not much chance for someone checking islands hit and miss as they go by.

And why shouldn't people expand their claims?   Everybody wants to keep bad neighbors away.  Completely understandable.  Maybe the neighbor has blocked a resource they want.  The game design encourages it..want to make money?  Tax everything, then rent space and tax that too.  There's even a leaderboard  applauding the ones who claim the most land, and they get to name the islands after themselves.  (I can't wait to see the island called "Peenie Pirates, because you know it'll happen.)     The devs have started to roll that back with a new timer that counts down quicker the more claims you own.  That's a good thing, but I'm not sure it'll help, and it's confusing going against all the other goals.  (Is there even a way to un-claim yet for those who decide they want the slower timer?)

The bottom line is, unless the number of claims is restricted somehow, the existing claims are going to grab up whatever becomes free around them.  They'd be crazy not to.  It won't make it any easier for new players to find a claim.

(All you  who want to jump in right now yelling about how there IS land, because you saw it, and you have a claim and everyone else is lazy, and you can't say there's no land unless you check every flag on every island in every zone (and yes, someone really said that)....don't bother.  We see this on every issue..those who had no connection problems at the start claim they don't exist, those who didn't get griefed don't think it's a problem, etc.  This thread is not for YOU.  It's for everyone who has had a completely different experience than YOU. If you really want to participate in it, pretend you're designing a brand new game from scratch and make reasonable suggestions.)

• Like 3

There was a PvE player here this morning telling that there is a lot of land available in PvE. Maybe you should contact him. @pope_kd

- also for other PvE players. 

Edited by Percieval

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

There was a PvE player here this morning telling that there is a lot of land available in PvE. Maybe you should contact him. @pope_kd

This thread isn't about ME.  It's about the game in general and what needs to happen for the design to work to keep players in the game and let new ones join it.

I know a lot of you only ever speak personally about things without thinking about them in general.  This isn't that.

2 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

This thread isn't about ME.  It's about the game in general and what needs to happen for the design to work to keep players in the game and let new ones join it.

I know a lot of you only ever speak personally about things without thinking about them in general.  This isn't that.

I’m not saying that. Pvp claims are (if I must believe the people ingame) pretty OK now and if Pve players start telling us there’s lots of land available.. I’d more than happy to watch this go down. I’m just all up for 1 claim per person - but that will never happen. 

Edited by Percieval

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Boomer V only ever talks about himself in the third person, because that is what really cool people like Boomer V do. You said this thread isn’t about you and that’s right. It’s about Boomer V because all threads are about Boomer V from Boomer V’s perspective, which is, frankly, the only perspective that matters. Boomer V thinks that generally speaking, he got his, but if the little people want to, it’s cool with Boomer V if they swim around in the water near his claims and get eaten by sharks, just as long as they don’t make too much noise doing it.

Boomer V likes his peace and quiet.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1