Sign in to follow this  
Zlax

How I wish they had changed stone

I really wish they had changed stone in a more sensible way. The current way is bad because it forces you to grind materials that you often cannot get on your island, to even build something that can withstand the local wildlife.

I wish they had:

1) Nerfed the durability vs. explosives ect. of the current stone structures, but kept the price (maybe add a bit of stone to the cost as it was fairly cheap on that compared to the resource cost of wood)

2) Added a reinforced stone tier to the game that had the old durability but the new cost.

This would have given companies something to strive for after they settle in a main house of stone (to prevent predators from breaking in during the night) while preserving a semblance of pvp balance. Currently it costs more to actually build your base than it does to destroy it, which is just utter madness.

(and yes, I know this is probably not any kind of new or unique thought, which is why it baffles me even more that the devs went with what they did)

You aren't supposed to have everything on one island (with a few exceptions, which are islands meant to be warred over).  You are supposed to travel to get things you need.

8 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

You aren't supposed to have everything on one island (with a few exceptions, which are islands meant to be warred over).  You are supposed to travel to get things you need.

And thats fine, but it also means that anyone that gets wiped will never rebuild, because noone in their right mind will move onto an island in wood, and if you got wiped somewhere else you need time to settle back down to actually be able to farm said materials, which you cannot do atm since wood can be eaten through by any random animal, and stone cant be built!

So what happens instead is that people that gets wiped will leave the game, what a genious move on their part ....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Start living alone in Tundra then , stop living in your tropical / temperate house .

Mean while i just sit on my ship making cannon balls .

20 hours ago, Zlax said:

And thats fine, but it also means that anyone that gets wiped will never rebuild, because noone in their right mind will move onto an island in wood, and if you got wiped somewhere else you need time to settle back down to actually be able to farm said materials, which you cannot do atm since wood can be eaten through by any random animal, and stone cant be built!

So what happens instead is that people that gets wiped will leave the game, what a genious move on their part ....

Except that's just incorrect.  People are currently losing and gaining land, rebuilding, etc.  It's also NOT HARD to get sap if you put even a moderate amount of half ass effort into it. Can literally spawn in a freeport, build a sloop, harvest and make the paste on board totally safe, then sail the paste back home.  The animal argument is also silly because the entire building does not need to be stone to stop animals, only the bottom part and even then only alphas do any sort of real damage to them. We have thatch shit that gets chewed on constantly and it requires minimal effort to keep up and replace.  There are a ton of options available out there if you want to use them, just people want to have 'all of the best everything' and not have to work for it.

19 hours ago, kampfer91 said:

Start living alone in Tundra then , stop living in your tropical / temperate house .

Mean while i just sit on my ship making cannon balls .

What does any of that have to do with you being too lazy to travel to get materials?  You go on with your bad self making cannon balls.  Not relevant at all nor is stone even that much better than wood when it comes to cannon fire.  

3 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Except that's just incorrect.  People are currently losing and gaining land, rebuilding, etc.  It's also NOT HARD to get sap if you put even a moderate amount of half ass effort into it. Can literally spawn in a freeport, build a sloop, harvest and make the paste on board totally safe, then sail the paste back home.  The animal argument is also silly because the entire building does not need to be stone to stop animals, only the bottom part and even then only alphas do any sort of real damage to them. We have thatch shit that gets chewed on constantly and it requires minimal effort to keep up and replace.  There are a ton of options available out there if you want to use them, just people want to have 'all of the best everything' and not have to work for it.

What does any of that have to do with you being too lazy to travel to get materials?  You go on with your bad self making cannon balls.  Not relevant at all nor is stone even that much better than wood when it comes to cannon fire.  

Doesnt matter how many times you call people lazy on the forums, the numbers speak volumes and the change to stone structure material cost wasnt needed in the slightest, all it will do is make people quit the game.

Sure for the companies thats already settled in it doesnt really make a lick of difference, our brigs can bring in thousands of metal and paste a day, so who cares right?

Anyone that is NOT already setup will care, when you cant go offline to sleep and work and come back without the fear of some random alpha having chewed through your base, THAT is what will make people leave. Hell, it doesnt even need to happen, just the perception that it CAN happen (because wood takes damage from animal attacks) is enough for people to just say "fuck it" and not bother.

So in a month you can sail around with 500 people spread across 255 odd zones because everyone else quit when your bored ass raided them for shits and giggles and they have zero chance to rebuild.

I'm a bit in the middle on this one.  The cost could've been balanced better for the protection offered, but I definitely don't agree about adding in organic paste to the cost.  Not because it's not everywhere but because it doesn't really make much sense.  I'd much preferred them adding in new tiers of building, I think I saw a suggestion post about it (Insulated tiers) that did have this new cost.   Could even come into play with same durability but added heat/cold insulation values for those living in the tundra/heat areas.  

Best way right now to deal with it is build a cargo schooner(swivels for defense only) add a bear and take it to a tropical island that has sugars in the form of a ground plant then just process that into organic paste.  Not ideal for PvP and some people in PvE seem to be hellbent on building behemoth walls around their islands for some reason but it's at least something.

That's a load of assumption and hyperbole.  There are a) no numbers to support this change has caused huge numbers of people to leave. b) you don't need brigs, or anything really past an ultra cheap ramshackle sloop to bring paste back. c) The people who just say 'fuck it' and not bother to even understand core mechanics or design of the game probably shouldn't be playing it then and those are the ones expecting everything to be handed to them.  If you can't be fucked to build an extra outer layer of thatch, or repair your wood shit once a day, or spend the few hours it takes to bring back alllll the paste you could need for a normal base containing everything important, than the reality is you are a big fat target to be raided anyway and don't need stone to begin with because you are living in a fantasy world.  People don't want solutions they want hand outs.  The first implementation change on stone was a bit much, but they lowered it since then and it's not nearly as hard.  I'm sure it will get adjusted yet again but people crying about shit not being on their island and being too lazy to go actually acquire shit is not a good justification to demand changes to core game play.  

If you compare numbers from the weekend before the nerf to the weekend after peak went down by nearly 25% and havnt recovered since.