Sign in to follow this  
LunningStooks

Ship Suggestions

Currently, we only have 3 real ships - The Schooner, the Brigantine, and the Galleon, and aside from being direct upgrades they all fill in a similar middle-ground roll. It'd be nice to see some more variety in the types of ships we can build, as well as seeing them lean more towards one role rather than the middle ground, similar to the following breakdown:

Cargo:

1. Xebec
  2. Snow
  3. Fluyt
  4. Galleon

Speed:

1. Pinnace
  2. Caravel
  3. Clipper

Combat:

1. Frigate
  2. Third Rate SOL
  3. Second Rate SOL
  4. First Rate SOL

Jack-of-all-trades:

1. Schooner
  2. Brigantine
  3. Brig

I dont think we need all of that.  The hulls are about the same on several of them. 

You can turn a Galleon currently into a SoL, 3rd rate or even a 1st rate if you are so inclined.

As for a frigate, well take a Brigantine and fit it as such.... 

The Xebec would primarily be a sail layout and a different bowsprit setup.. but seeing as we dont have the Bowsprit at all, there is no point.

You can build a dedicated cargo ship.. just dont put a second deck on the Brig, leave a massive gap between the gundeck and the orlop deck.  Dont use gunports and put a weight sail or two on it, and a speed sail.  

I'm more suggesting along the lines that they introduce the different types of hull at each tier, and even insert a tier between brig and galleon as the gap in resource dedication is fairly large. For instance speed hulls would be thinner, cutting through the water better but sacrificing cargo capacity, cargo would be the opposite, dedicated combat ships would have significantly thicker hulls for better defense, ect.

54 minutes ago, LunningStooks said:

I'm more suggesting along the lines that they introduce the different types of hull at each tier, and even insert a tier between brig and galleon as the gap in resource dedication is fairly large. For instance speed hulls would be thinner, cutting through the water better but sacrificing cargo capacity, cargo would be the opposite, dedicated combat ships would have significantly thicker hulls for better defense, ect.

The biggest issue I am seeing with your list is, the Snow, and the Xebec... you are aware that a snow is not a hull type but a sail plan type.   

The Xebec wasn't really just a cargo ship design.   Same for the Snow Ontario.   

38 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The biggest issue I am seeing with your list is, the Snow, and the Xebec... you are aware that a snow is not a hull type but a sail plan type.   

The Xebec wasn't really just a cargo ship design.   Same for the Snow Ontario.   

They were just examples of names, based on their use in other pirate games

Maybe they need to introduce skeleton construction. So split the ship into fore section, mid-section and aft section. During initial skeleton construction, you can choose different types of hulls you put down for the ship. Different hull types could have different benefits. Tankier hulls add more weight which slows you down, but can take more damage, add more gun ports etc. Lighter hulls, more narrow looking, less weight and give great speed but can't take much punishment. An in-between hull type. You could combo with different hull types, so tanky mid section and front, speed rear, which would make even more unique shapes. Shallower hulls might allow you to go closer to shore etc, glide over water. Idk just tossing up some ideas.

But if you were able to customise sections of a skeleton before placing planks, you'd be able to build all the different ship types as suggested off of a sloop, brigantine and galleon base.

I really think if they mention in the Roadmap we must be on sea spending more time. They need to add more diffrent ships and diffrent feeling of handling them.

Of course as a real Dutcheman i really recommenond to add The fluyt. Because. Schonner is transporting to less, soon if you have gems or metal it sinks lol. Galleon mix of that. Nice world famoust most impact sail ship golden ages