Sign in to follow this  
DeannaPrime

Swimming: Too fast

Good morning!

This is my first foray into the gaming world and I have a problem. When I am swimming it appears I have super speed when approaching my ship. It makes it terribly difficult to "E" climb a ladder. I will be floating in front of my ship and gently tap "W" and it propels me like a jet. Laughing. I don't seem to notice this if I am swimming around not needing ship access. I could be wrong. This is all new to me. Perhaps a mouse adjustment in or out of game? Unsure. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Deanna

• Like 1

I personaly just "drift" straight at the ladder when i get close and try to time the E push. With a bit of pratice you get better at it.  It could use a bit of adjustment on the devs end as im not sure there is anything we can set to help (yet are mods coming)

• Like 1

Honestly my preferred method for quick ship access has been to avoid the ladder at all cost and just grapple to one of the sails and hop on.  If you've got time or are loading in a lot of materials the ladder is great because you are already super slow to begin with.  But as for the issue you are having, did you by chance take the swim speed boosts in the survival skill tree?  That might be compounding the issue you are seeing.

• Like 1

Thank you. That may help, but when a shark or something else is attacking that "floating" makes me an Hors oeuvre. 😉 You are very kind to respond. I am excited for mods!

Edited by DeannaPrime

18 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Honestly my preferred method for quick ship access has been to avoid the ladder at all cost and just grapple to one of the sails and hop on.  If you've got time or are loading in a lot of materials the ladder is great because you are already super slow to begin with.  But as for the issue you are having, did you by chance take the swim speed boosts in the survival skill tree?  That might be compounding the issue you are seeing.

Hi Vaenix and yes I did take that boost. It  seemed wise at the time. I wonder if I should respec and avoid that. Hmm. Thank you for the kind response. 🙂

20 minutes ago, DeannaPrime said:

Hi Vaenix and yes I did take that boost. It  seemed wise at the time. I wonder if I should respec and avoid that. Hmm. Thank you for the kind response. 🙂

That would be entirely up to you, I've gotten used to the additional speed so without the skill set I personally feel too slow in the water, and like I said my personal method of getting back onto a boat is grappling hook unless I'm loading supplies.  If you want the speed but are having a hard time getting used to it, you could start with the smaller speed boost and work your way up to the tier 3 boost.  

Note: I tend to do a lot of sailing that ends with me swimming to shore for discovery points so I'm a bit biased lol.

• Like 1

Another note to this, I use 3rd person normally but when climbing ladders i switch to first person.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of online gaming! Do not expect other players to be rational, reasonable or respectful. Be pleasantly surprised when they are.  It is easy to fall into the trap of taking the game too seriously.

Don’t.

Play only as long as you are having fun. When you stop having fun, consider doing something else. Especially in sandbox games, don’t let other people define how you should have fun. Remember that the people you play with are the single biggest factor in how much fun you have so choose your server/company/neighbors carefully. If this advice seems incredibly obvious, it is only because so many of us who have been doing this for years still have trouble following it. And lastly, remember Boomer’s guarantee:

All predictions wrong or your money back.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Welcome to the world of online gaming! Do not expect other players to be rational, reasonable or respectful. Be pleasantly surprised when they are.  It is easy to fall into the trap of taking the game too seriously.

Don’t.

Play only as long as you are having fun. When you stop having fun, consider doing something else. Especially in sandbox games, don’t let other people define how you should have fun. Remember that the people you play with are the single biggest factor in how much fun you have so choose your server/company/neighbors carefully. If this advice seems incredibly obvious, it is only because so many of us who have been doing this for years still have trouble following it. And lastly, remember Boomer’s guarantee:

All predictions wrong or your money back.

Thank you for these kind words and suggestions. I will take them to heart. I have had my fair share of failures in Atlas. I keep on smiling. I enjoy the testing, research and development part of it. I just lost my 2nd Sloop and it was a huge loss. I have avoided Official servers and found a great community with a private server. So onward and upward and seaward. ❤️

1 minute ago, Coggage said:

"Grabbing The Ladder" is like a mini-game all of its own.  😄

That is so true. One I fail at often!

57 minutes ago, Dags said:

Another note to this, I use 3rd person normally but when climbing ladders i switch to first person.

I am always in 1st person except when sailing, but great suggestion! 🙂

1 hour ago, Vaenix said:

That would be entirely up to you, I've gotten used to the additional speed so without the skill set I personally feel too slow in the water, and like I said my personal method of getting back onto a boat is grappling hook unless I'm loading supplies.  If you want the speed but are having a hard time getting used to it, you could start with the smaller speed boost and work your way up to the tier 3 boost.  

Note: I tend to do a lot of sailing that ends with me swimming to shore for discovery points so I'm a bit biased lol.

How wonderful you are! The grappling hook is brilliant! I just started using it. I cannot wait to try it out on the ship.