Sign in to follow this  
Dread Pirate Ash

Can servergrids NOT be square?

I see a lot of talk about server grids being 2x2, 3x3, and so on. Is there any reason they can't be say, 3x2 or something?

I ask because we've been trying to get that up and running (had an unrelated database issue when expanding out grid, tacking on 2 more servers to our 2x2), and I've noticed that our map now looks.... squashed. Like it's unable to render the actual server map as anything other than a square.

You could create your 3x2 on a 3x3 grid but never start the bottom 3 servers, so all you're islands and content would be based in the top 6 servers. As long as all the servers that people occupied are active there is no problem with servers not running, you just get the red wall barrier. The only issue is there would be no traveling north to get to the southern servers. Uploading all the CellMaps and map image would give yo a square map you would just never uncover the 3 servers at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

I see a lot of talk about server grids being 2x2, 3x3, and so on. Is there any reason they can't be say, 3x2 or something?

I ask because we've been trying to get that up and running (had an unrelated database issue when expanding out grid, tacking on 2 more servers to our 2x2), and I've noticed that our map now looks.... squashed. Like it's unable to render the actual server map as anything other than a square.

They don't have to be square, for example i run a 4x3 server and it's just fine.

Edited by Shadowsong

1 minute ago, Shadowsong said:

They don't have to be square, for example i run a 4x3 server and it's just fine.

Hmm alright. Any idea why my server map might be a little squashed, then? I'm using the ones exported by the editor, and they look fine if I open them manually, but in-game they're squished down into a square. Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

Hmm alright. Any idea why my server map might be a little squashed, then? I'm using the ones exported by the editor, and they look fine if I open them manually, but in-game they're squished down into a square. Any ideas?

It may look a little distorted ingame as it's not square. But it's not all that noticeable. My 4x3 grid is effectively stretched a bit to fit on a 4x4 in game map. 

Are you saying your map is squished to 1 single grid? If that's the case, then yea somethings going wrong there for sure. Were you previously using a 1x1 server before you expanded the grid? 

1 minute ago, Shadowsong said:

It may look a little distorted ingame as it's not square. But it's not all that noticeable. My 4x3 grid is effectively stretched a bit to fit on a 4x4 in game map. 

Are you saying your map is squished to 1 single grid? If that's the case, then yea somethings going wrong there for sure. Were you previously using a 1x1 server before you expanded the grid? 

Nah, its more like it's trying to squash the 3x2 into a 2x2. It looks way off because it's shrinking on one axis but not the other.

If you've got a similar thing going, it's probably attempting to make it into a square. I actually wonder if editing the image to be a square but filling the another row with blank space would actually work. Something for me to look into later. Or I could just make the grid a 3x3 and just not have the bottom row availble; the game will still run that way.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:44 AM, Ian-C said:

You could create your 3x2 on a 3x3 grid but never start the bottom 3 servers, so all you're islands and content would be based in the top 6 servers. As long as all the servers that people occupied are active there is no problem with servers not running, you just get the red wall barrier. The only issue is there would be no traveling north to get to the southern servers. Uploading all the CellMaps and map image would give yo a square map you would just never uncover the 3 servers at the bottom.

That's actually the worst idea I ever heard. You can set up a 3x2 server right in the map editor....

On 1/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ian-C said:

You do realize that the world acts like a.globe ya? If your Freeport is in A1 you can sail north and the you will end up in the bottom grid of the A column.

I.e you can go from A1 to A4 by sailing north in A1. Where your Freeport is does not matter at all