Sign in to follow this  
Glaxo

4x4 possible with this setup?

I have an extra computer with an i9 9900K and 64GBs of ram. Wondering if a 4x4 grid would be possible with this kind of setup. And if so, what about a 5x5?

The RAM is your limiting factor here, my 3x3 consumes around 4-5GB per zone, so you could host about 12 total (3x4) on that amount of RAM.

My server currently has 64GB assigned to the VM, and between Windows and ATLAS, 44GB of RAM is currently in use.

As an additional note, I have 16 cores assigned to the VM, and it sits at around 75% utilization overall with ~30 players connected to the grid.

10 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

The RAM is your limiting factor here, my 3x3 consumes around 4-5GB per zone, so you could host about 12 total (3x4) on that amount of RAM.

My server currently has 64GB assigned to the VM, and between Windows and ATLAS, 44GB of RAM is currently in use.

As an additional note, I have 16 cores assigned to the VM, and it sits at around 75% utilization overall with ~30 players connected to the grid.

Thank you for the reply. With around 30 people connected to your server, what is your network utilization at?

Kind of hard to determine, as I also have 5 ARK servers running.

So, between the 9 ATLAS servers and 5 ARK servers on the same hardware (VMs running inProxMox hypervisor), it all runs smoothly over the internet connection at the host sites (one of the other server admin's house).

Our current numbers aren't really conducive to testing due to the time of day. We only have 5 players connected at the moment.

I'm unsure of their overall internet package, but our average latency from Ohio (server location) to Alabama (My location) is around 45ms.

I'll see if I can gather some more network information tonight if we have higher numbers again. May have to wait until the weekend to see above 20 simultaneous connections though.

23 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

Kind of hard to determine, as I also have 5 ARK servers running.

So, between the 9 ATLAS servers and 5 ARK servers on the same hardware (VMs running inProxMox hypervisor), it all runs smoothly over the internet connection at the host sites (one of the other server admin's house).

Our current numbers aren't really conducive to testing due to the time of day. We only have 5 players connected at the moment.

I'm unsure of their overall internet package, but our average latency from Ohio (server location) to Alabama (My location) is around 45ms.

I'll see if I can gather some more network information tonight if we have higher numbers again. May have to wait until the weekend to see above 20 simultaneous connections though.

Yea if you can keep me posted on that, it would be super helpful. I currently have 1Gb down and 35 Mb up so im hoping its more than enough, which i would assume it is.

OK, per the admin who hosts this, he has 500/50 at his house, so that is hosting our 14 servers (9 ATLAS + 5 ARK) plus his normal household traffic (streaming, etc.).

• Like 1

Pretty remarkable how little bandwidth hosting actually requires. 

As for the CPU - even that is going to put 1 instance per thread. Rule of thumb for me is 4gb + 2 threads per grid. 

Update on networking: We currently have 10 players connected and total bandwidth use is around 500Kbps for both send and receive with a few spikes to around 1-1.5 Mbps.

image.png.240cf277e040dfd777186e9df4c78715.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dinenon said:

Update on networking: We currently have 10 players connected and total bandwidth use is around 500Kbps for both send and receive with a few spikes to around 1-1.5 Mbps.

image.png.240cf277e040dfd777186e9df4c78715.png

oh wow, thanks for this that really helps, its a lot lower than i thought it would be. Also, do you happen to know what CPU is being used in that rig?

3 minutes ago, Glaxo said:

Also, do you happen to know what CPU is being used in that rig?

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2690 @2.90GHz (2Sockets)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2690 @2.90GHz (2Sockets)

thank you for all the help. So maybe ill just stick to a 3x4 for now.

3x4 = 12

12 * 6 gb = you're short. Instances use between 4 - 6 gb. I've seen spikes above 6. and your OS needs RAM too. Maybe even shared video? (if you have a dedicated gfx in there it may be cheaper to rent a server vs. electronics bill anyways lol)

CPU wise my 2x3 runs between 60 and 80% on a true 4 core, so you can expect the same on your 8 core with double the amount of servers.

Network wise it's pretty meh, I can pull my full 200mbit download, torrent and watch netflix and noone on the server notices any lag. It's really low. Anything above 5mbit should suffice.

It depends only on the islands themselves. On grid with say 4-5 islands would only need about 5-7GB, but my current server has 12 Islands on one grid and it uses 9-10GB.

Remember you dont want to max out your hardware. As more players join, the resource consumption increases. I never run my servers above 50% resource utilization. That gives room to have a lot of players. And we grow each day and I see that it was smart to have resources in reserve

4 hours ago, HelixU4 said:

Remember you dont want to max out your hardware. As more players join, the resource consumption increases. I never run my servers above 50% resource utilization. That gives room to have a lot of players. And we grow each day and I see that it was smart to have resources in reserve

Yea i ended up buying an actual server so once that gets delivered ill have 2 6 core CPUs and 288 GBs of ram to play with

12 hours ago, Glaxo said:

Yea i ended up buying an actual server so once that gets delivered ill have 2 6 core CPUs and 288 GBs of ram to play with

You will have cpu utilization issues long before you have ram problems.  General rule of thumb is about 1 real core per grid.  You can push it a little past that but not much. You can push more past 1 grid per core if your clock speeds are very high i.e over 3.3ghz but you'd need to test it.