Gryphorim

Steam Boilers

How would people feel if we could fit steam boilers to our ships (I'd say large ships only), that snap to a sail point, thus making for a bit of a design trade-off. The bulk of the boiler would be on the lowest deck, with a chimney rising where the sail would fit.

Once the boiler is fitted, it can provide power to sidepaddles that snap to the dinghy/diving platform snap points, or screw propulsion that snaps to the rear of the boiler, extending a pair of driveshafts through the rear bulkhead, allowing for power against the wind, or in windless situations.

The downside of the boilers would be bulk, weight and fuel cost.

12 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

How would people feel if we could fit steam boilers to our ships (I'd say large ships only), that snap to a sail point, thus making for a bit of a design trade-off. The bulk of the boiler would be on the lowest deck, with a chimney rising where the sail would fit.

Once the boiler is fitted, it can provide power to sidepaddles that snap to the dinghy/diving platform snap points, or screw propulsion that snaps to the rear of the boiler, extending a pair of driveshafts through the rear bulkhead, allowing for power against the wind, or in windless situations.

The downside of the boilers would be bulk, weight and fuel cost.

I so 100% against this. If they ever implement this.. I am out. It supposed to be a pirate game 
the fact that we have gliders in it already bothers me. 
now implementing steam powered egine and the next thing you know we have automatic rifles, laser guns and energy shileds. 
Oh, we already have autoamtic guns, dont we ??

stupid 

I could see steam boilers for different ship types. Like cargo or carrier. but sails should still be great for the effort involved. 

10 hours ago, psykikk said:

I so 100% against this. If they ever implement this.. I am out. It supposed to be a pirate game 
now implementing steam powered egine and the next thing you know we have automatic rifles, laser guns and energy shileds. 

stupid 

Steam engines are already present on merchant ships, so why not have them on ours? I should point out that at the time of writing the original post, I wasn't aware that the 30% power against the wind change had gone in. I wanted this proposal to be for situations where there was no favourable wind.

The way I'd balance this idea is: 

1. A good sailing setup is still faster when able to catch full wind, with the maximum speed of a boiler setup being about 50% of max sailing speed.

2. Fuel use. A boiler should consume a lot of coal or oil to run, and fuel for it's use is heavy

3. You should still need a crewmember to operate it, for most efficient use.

4. Weight, bulk. The boiler should take up enough space below deck to be inconvenient, possibly preventing the fitment of cannons, definitely taking up one sail location. 

Ideally, they'd only be for use on cargo ships that need to make decent time despite the wind, or for pirates that can ambush players unfamiliar with tacking against the wind. Tacking should require more skill, but be slightly faster in most cases, and a ship fitted with steam power would not get the same top speed on it's remaining sails when running downwind.

Basically, the inclusion of the merchant steamers suggest an 1800's era of technology, and the minni balls for the rifle suggests even later, so steam power, whilst niche, should be available.

just no ... next call would be nuclear powered cruisers, or at least metalships ... man this is pirate game ... 

Edited by don

18 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Steam engines are already present on merchant ships, so why not have them on ours? I should point out that at the time of writing the original post, I wasn't aware that the 30% power against the wind change had gone in. I wanted this proposal to be for situations where there was no favourable wind.

The way I'd balance this idea is: 

1. A good sailing setup is still faster when able to catch full wind, with the maximum speed of a boiler setup being about 50% of max sailing speed.

2. Fuel use. A boiler should consume a lot of coal or oil to run, and fuel for it's use is heavy

3. You should still need a crewmember to operate it, for most efficient use.

4. Weight, bulk. The boiler should take up enough space below deck to be inconvenient, possibly preventing the fitment of cannons, definitely taking up one sail location. 

Ideally, they'd only be for use on cargo ships that need to make decent time despite the wind, or for pirates that can ambush players unfamiliar with tacking against the wind. Tacking should require more skill, but be slightly faster in most cases, and a ship fitted with steam power would not get the same top speed on it's remaining sails when running downwind.

Basically, the inclusion of the merchant steamers suggest an 1800's era of technology, and the minni balls for the rifle suggests even later, so steam power, whilst niche, should be available.

I'd agree to this myself, trading speed and cargo space/weight in exchange for reliability.

17 hours ago, don said:

just no ... next call would be nuclear powered cruisers, or at least metalships ... man this is pirate game ... 

A bit of a strawman arguement there. I'm suggesting things already seen in game (merchant ships) and in-era. There was an overlap between age of sail and age of steam, afterall.

Besides, nautical piracy remains a problem to this day.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, psykikk said:

stupid 

Someone please tell the cyclops, dragons, fire demons, giants that psykikk said this was a mfing pirate game and gtfo of here..

4 hours ago, Mr.Gibbs said:

Someone please tell the cyclops, dragons, fire demons, giants that psykikk said this was a mfing pirate game and gtfo of here..

yeah... exactly. 

I dont see the exact correlation between fantasy beings and technological inventions that unnecesearily convolute the meta of the game. 

want to board a ship ? get close and use grappling hooks (which are perfectly fine for a pirate game)

want to travel to a remote destination on the island ? use dhingys, climbing hooks, grappling hooks and your feet maybe ? 

why do we even need gliders ?

not that they are not practical. and useful. but also not very pirate-like. 

12 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

A bit of a strawman arguement there. I'm suggesting things already seen in game (merchant ships) and in-era. There was an overlap between age of sail and age of steam, afterall.

Besides, nautical piracy remains a problem to this day.

yeah ... steam was the end of pirare area 😉

I'm also against this idea, already quite mad that ships of the damned have no sails, didn't see trading ships yet but I know as well they have none...

I'd prefer all ships to have sails and be subject to the same sailing mechanics ! I'm also against that EZ mode 30% against wind patch they put up 😕