Sign in to follow this  
MagicPuncher

Need Someone Smart To Make A Wind Direction Calculator

From what I can tell, the wind direction just slowly rotates steadily clockwise. Assuming that's true, it should be pretty easy to calculate what direction it will be blowing at what time. It would be really cool to have an online tool where you pick what official server you are on, and then it tells you what direction the wind will be blowing at what time. That way you can plan accordingly. Sucks getting on expecting to sail, only to find the wind is blowing the opposite direction you want to go and it will be hours until it comes around. I'm not nearly smart enough to do such a thing, but maybe someone here is.

Yeah that would definately be nice. What would be even nicer is a feature here on the forums that showed current wind direction ingame when you pick the selected server. Wouldn't that be nifty? btw if you haven't worked your way up to ships with handling sails, or used them, they definately are a big help in terms of sailing into the wind or at a bad angle. Speed isn't great, but it's far better than nothing.

Just now, Case of the Scurvy said:

Seems to me it only changes during a storm. And the change could be from you drifting.

No it rotates steadily clockwise over time. Can confirm this. What I haven't confirmed yet is if the rotation is on a set schedule of interval x or not, and if so what is x?

With the dev kit dropping any day now, I'm sure someone will be able to find the code in there that controls the wind and find out exactly what it's doing.

The storm actualy changes wind but only for the duration of the storm, pretty usefull when having a bad wind as long as can dodge the tornados.