Sign in to follow this  
Rogash

Taming needs to be changed!

Seriously the amount of grind in this game you would think it's a full time job. Why do you place creatures in an environment that doesn't even have their required food? This literally makes no sense to me. I shouldn't have to go half way across the damn world just to get X resource to tame a stupid pig or some other generic animal. Why can't we have pitfall traps or something interesting? Bola's are hard to use when they are flailing all over and the fact that you have to fight them to do it is annoying. It's not immersive or fun by any means. 

• Like 2

Agree that if a creature exists in a location then the resource to tame that creature should exist in that location. 

Taming is hard enough as it is. It's not something I'm enjoying so far. It needs to be a challenge but it feels like a chore and not an enjoyable one currently. 

• Like 1

Build a square, say 4x4. Make three walls out of doorways. Make the fourth wall out of cellar doors. Lead creature up cellar door ramp and into taming pit. 

2 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Build a square, say 4x4. Make three walls out of doorways. Make the fourth wall out of cellar doors. Lead creature up cellar door ramp and into taming pit. 

Only possible in your own territory or lawless areas. Everywhere else is taken, so it's not as easy as you may think when it comes to laying down structures as traps.

1 hour ago, TheSzerdi said:

Yes because we just want more garbage glitchy taming methods. It would make a lot more sense to hatch or steal babies and raise them than to "tame" adult creatures. The system in Ark completely sucked, but this system sucks even more. 

22 minutes ago, Rogash said:

Yes because we just want more garbage glitchy taming methods. It would make a lot more sense to hatch or steal babies and raise them than to "tame" adult creatures. The system in Ark completely sucked, but this system sucks even more. 

The game doesn't support terrain changes, at all. So pit traps and anything like them is right out. Recoding the AI to have and raise children would be a massive use of man hours. Not to mention all the bugs, exploits, and extra server resource usage. Just so you can steal babies? Ridiculous. 

The current system is crap, yes. In my opinion they should've just stuck with the ARK tranquilizer method, except expanded. Instead of just "tranquilizer" they could add multiple variations. For example you need to make tranq poison from arctic berries to knock out tropical animals and vice versa. Common animals like boars could remain susceptible to the rotten meat poison or fish oil poison. This would add a layer of complexity and foster travel or trade between regions. 

10 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

The game doesn't support terrain changes, at all. So pit traps and anything like them is right out. Recoding the AI to have and raise children would be a massive use of man hours. Not to mention all the bugs, exploits, and extra server resource usage. Just so you can steal babies? Ridiculous. 

The current system is crap, yes. In my opinion they should've just stuck with the ARK tranquilizer method, except expanded. Instead of just "tranquilizer" they could add multiple variations. For example you need to make tranq poison from arctic berries to knock out tropical animals and vice versa. Common animals like boars could remain susceptible to the rotten meat poison or fish oil poison. This would add a layer of complexity and foster travel or trade between regions. 

It wouldn't be hard to just make something look like a pitfall trap without actually falling through the terrain. Also babies have been in Ark for a very long time so this game could completely do this no problem. I think you are overestimating the amount of time it would take for them to implement something like this. It more or less just comes down to players accepting a system the way it is and then the developers just shrug it off lazily. 

KO taming is complete garbage and I never want to see it again. I would rather not see taming at all if these are the shitty taming systems we are going to be getting in Atlas. 

Edited by Rogash

Unless you propose that they just randomly spawn permanent baby animals, the AI changes would be massive. You'd have to first change behavior to stay near mates. Now you have to figure out how to avoid giant herds. Then you have to change behavior to protect babies, so they aren't all instantly destroyed by predators. Again more herd problems or else unique identifiers for animals to recognize individuals. All of this places extra processing load on the server. At if the animals and their combat isn't glitchy enough already. 

I suppose you could just make babies invulnerable and randomly spawn attached to a mother to follow. Make them become vulnerable when the mother dies. Then bolo and carry home the baby. Once you get it home to a pen it auto tames and you just have to deal with raising it. Adjusting temperature and special food until it's juvenile. 

16 minutes ago, Rogash said:

It wouldn't be hard to just make something look like a pitfall trap without actually falling through the terrain. Also babies have been in Ark for a very long time so this game could completely do this no problem. I think you are overestimating the amount of time it would take for them to implement something like this. It more or less just comes down to players accepting a system the way it is and then the developers just shrug it off lazily. 

KO taming is complete garbage and I never want to see it again. I would rather not see taming at all if these are the shitty taming systems we are going to be getting in Atlas. 

If you couldn't tell, my first thought was, what would a fully interactive ai supported baby taming system need? 

Then I thought, screw that, how can we cheat to get a better system implemented quick and dirty? 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Typo

7 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

If you couldn't tell, my first thought was, what would a fully interactive ai supported baby taming system need? 

Then I thought, screw that, how can we cheat to get a better system implemented quick and dirty? 

Honestly if they just made it so we had real traps that didn't have to be reapplied a thousand times it wouldn't be that bad of a taming system. It would be cool if we had a combination of animal traps with the animal baiting system in the Ark immersive taming mod. Once the animal was trapped it would remain trapped until you finished feeding it. There is really no need to make it as grindy or annoying as Ark when the creatures are going to be nearly useless for pvp. 

35 minutes ago, Rogash said:

Honestly if they just made it so we had real traps that didn't have to be reapplied a thousand times it wouldn't be that bad of a taming system. It would be cool if we had a combination of animal traps with the animal baiting system in the Ark immersive taming mod. Once the animal was trapped it would remain trapped until you finished feeding it. There is really no need to make it as grindy or annoying as Ark when the creatures are going to be nearly useless for pvp. 

Useless? Ride a wolf on to the deck of the enemy ship as you ram them and chew up their crew. Never used the immersive taming mod, but solid traps like that sounds nice. 

2 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Useless? Ride a wolf on to the deck of the enemy ship as you ram them and chew up their crew. Never used the immersive taming mod, but solid traps like that sounds nice. 

Useless compared to Ark I should say. I think guns will mostly reign supreme in Atlas and I want it to stay that way. Also wolves in general are kind of broken with their instant healing bullshit. I don't know if tamed wolves are like this or not though. 

Edited by Rogash