Sign in to follow this  
christenoc

Would this game be better if you picked from one of a few empires at the start?

Alot of the problems in this game come from nothing being unified right now. There are thousands of tiny groups all trying to make their own base and come out on top which means there is no space for people to build and there is general chaos and lawlessness. Much of this will fix itself with the organic progression of the game. Companies will start to come out on top and own large amounts of land and they will proscribe laws to guarantee some kind of security on their territory and there will be hundreds of players each holding different jobs like farming, internal policing, scouting, warring etc, and they will build the towns and giant seaports and things like you see in the trailers, and their empire will be fighting against a couple of other empires which will also have become dominant and each will have developed their own laws, culture etc.

This is the organic vision of the game which actually still excites me, even though my experience so far has been abominable.

The problem is, will the game survive till it reaches that state? Might it be best to kickstart that dynamic by automatically aligning a player to one of three or four pre-set empires at character creation? But that comes with it's own problems like the game has to guarantee that each empire will survive and have a set minimum amount of land ownership, and so you lose that organic appeal.. but still, it may be preferable to thousands of players leaving because there is no place to build and there are too many competing tribes packed way too close together to ever get anything done without it instantly being destroyed the moment you go offline or leave your base for 10 minutes.

It could work, on different servers though. Just as I hope they will introduce ‘small company’ servers. It is necessary. 

15 minutes ago, christenoc said:

Alot of the problems in this game come from nothing being unified right now. There are thousands of tiny groups all trying to make their own base and come out on top which means there is no space for people to build and there is general chaos and lawlessness. Much of this will fix itself with the organic progression of the game. Companies will start to come out on top and own large amounts of land and they will proscribe laws to guarantee some kind of security on their territory and there will be hundreds of players each holding different jobs like farming, internal policing, scouting, warring etc, and they will build the towns and giant seaports and things like you see in the trailers, and their empire will be fighting against a couple of other empires which will also have become dominant and each will have developed their own laws, culture etc.

This is the organic vision of the game which actually still excites me, even though my experience so far has been abominable.

The problem is, will the game survive till it reaches that state? Might it be best to kickstart that dynamic by automatically aligning a player to one of three or four pre-set empires at character creation? But that comes with it's own problems like the game has to guarantee that each empire will survive and have a set minimum amount of land ownership, and so you lose that organic appeal.. but still, it may be preferable to thousands of players leaving because there is no place to build and there are too many competing tribes packed way too close together to ever get anything done without it instantly being destroyed the moment you go offline or leave your base for 10 minutes.

Yeah they need to just have two main factions and you choose which one you side on. That would be the best for the game.

the way it is set up now has it being potentially the worst game ever made

I was thinking this … four factions -- constant faction warfare, no killing players of the same faction on and on and on. 

2 hours ago, hands solo said:

I was thinking this … four factions -- constant faction warfare, no killing players of the same faction on and on and on. 

Nah you have to be able to kill and steal from anyone. Otherwise there is no need for internal policing, no use for a public hanging square and no threat of danger that keeps you awake while grinding. The point would be that you are automatically given land to build on and people in your immediate vicinity should, but not necessarily, be much more friendly as you are all working for a common purpose under an overseeing law.