Sign in to follow this  
Ghenj

Land claiming is a failed system.

Land claiming sounds fine and interesting in theory but upon execution it is an incredibly frustrating system that holds the game back. It allows small groups to control vast amounts of lands with very little risk and great reward. A approximity based system like Arks makes for a much fairer and rewarding system than what Atlas has. Failing to take land and losing your spawn, only to be placed back in a free port to farm, travel, and prepare for another attempt at a land grab is a game ruining system. Expectially when the process takes multiple hours. The player should at least have a chance to establish himself within the game and be granted the chance to play something besides the starting zone before a mega tribe flattens him. Even if he is only around for a no more than 24 hours. I play in a small group and I know that inherently disqualifies me for end game play, and that is fine, but repeating the same process for multiple days now is far beyond frustrating. I'm I the only one that feels this way?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ghenj said:

Land claiming sounds fine and interesting in theory but upon execution it is an incredibly frustrating system that holds the game back. It allows small groups to control vast amounts of lands with very little risk and great reward. A approximity based system like Arks makes for a much fairer and rewarding system than what Atlas has. Failing to take land and losing your spawn, only to be placed back in a free port to farm, travel, and prepare for another attempt at a land grab is a game ruining system. Expectially when the process takes multiple hours. The player should at least have a chance to establish himself within the game and be granted the chance to play something besides the starting zone before a mega tribe flattens him. Even if he is only around for a no more than 24 hours. I play in a small group and I know that inherently disqualifies me for end game play, and that is fine, but repeating the same process for multiple days now is far beyond frustrating. I'm I the only one that feels this way?

No you’re not the only one since this is probably the 150th thread regarding the problem. We all understand it though, it needs fixing. 

If they don't fix this clan size and land grab BULLSHIT, I'm out. Too many fucking alpha clans with 40+ people and entire islands taken.

There are plenty of claims on island that clans grab and can't defend.  There are also clans around that will let you build on their island with a small claim because they tax your harvesting.  We do it.

Everyone wants to complain about alpha tribes but no one seems to want to figure out how to use the system as it was intended.  If you just don't jumping on some big companies island and try to jack land they are going to most likely fuck you up.  If you go parlay with them you can find some who are willing to let you build, or have an alliance, or be fine with a small claim for tax trade off.  

I disagree 100% no clan of 6 or 10 people will ever be able to take on 40+ . This game needs smaller clan sizes, like 10 or 2o max with limited flags. If you want to align with other clans great, but to allow such bullshit alpha clans is a joke and kills the single player and smaller clans. I have seen 100+ player clans.

8 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

There are also clans around that will let you build on their island with a small claim because they tax your harvesting

First I've heard of this!  Can you briefly explain the mechanics?

21 minutes ago, rurickjames said:

First I've heard of this!  Can you briefly explain the mechanics?

So on our island we have the entire island claimed.  We have about 80 to 100 members, so everyones idea of 1 flag per member wouldn't stop us anyway.  There is a buildable structure in the game called a taxation bank. We placed it down and set a tax rate.  It can be from 1 to 30 percent.  Anyone who comes on our island and harvests within our claim area is AUTOMATICALLY taxed on their resources as they harvest.  So if somoene comes and chops trees, we get X percent and it automatically goes into the taxation bank vault.

This mechanic allows for companies to own land because they are huge but gives incentive to not just murder everyone around.  If we have an abundance of trees and we don't need that many but other people do, why not let them do the work for us.  

We also make alliances with both large and small clans.  The small ones are groups of like a few people who just need a place to live, build a boat, etc. They dont want anything huge and they like the protection we offer.  So we let them place a single (sometimes 2) claims down on an area without resources like the beach (which they need for their shipyard anyway).  This means they still pay resource taxes to live there (our benefit) and they benefit from having a place to live and generally our protection.

People killing people on site when they land are generally scared they are an invasion force or there to sneakily try to steal claims while people sleep.  If more people tried diplomacy and stopped trying to just sneaky steal land they would probably have an easier time finding a place to live.

28 minutes ago, BearsAss said:

I disagree 100% no clan of 6 or 10 people will ever be able to take on 40+ . This game needs smaller clan sizes, like 10 or 2o max with limited flags. If you want to align with other clans great, but to allow such bullshit alpha clans is a joke and kills the single player and smaller clans. I have seen 100+ player clans.

You just sound salty because you haven't figured it out yet.  The clans of under 10 living on our island do not share your view.   There are also PLENTY of big ass clans that try to just own everything and it's just not possible because they can't be everywhere at once.  We take claims from other big ass clans all day long, every day, most of the time with no resistance what so ever.  So if WE do it and no one is around, why would it be any different for the random person.

Use the big ass map on this website that shows all the claim spots and stuff.  Ask in global chat for a friendly place to live.  Tell them you are FINE with taxation.  If you want to be sneaky then look for clans that have a lot of land but not a lot of members or buildings around.  Especially ones that have claims across multiple islands.  I can promise you if you put a little effort in you will find claims you can steal away that they don't care about because they don't live there anymore and are old, or they can't justify defending because it's far.

Also, this game is a single player killer on its own. The devs even outright stated this probably isnt the game for you if you choose to play solo.  Its designed to be a large scale game with diplomacy, wars, intrigue, etc.  If you've ever played Life is Feudal MMO it's like that.