Sign in to follow this  
Sydhart

Server loading and lag, animal/player warping hitbox issues, sail stuttering issues, oh my!

So I've noticed recently that my server lag (ping) to the servers is consistently sitting over 150. Load times into the game and between grids are getting longer. Animals, especially horses, lions, snakes, bears with carts, are warping all over and when trying to tame, animals are desynching all over the pen making it VERY difficult to find the feeding spot without getting hit over and over. When sailing, holding spacebar doesn't drop my sails now and the sails twist back and forth when moving. I also get lags in sailing and then a short freeze and then my ship teleports forward like a rocket, which is rather scary when pulling into port or in shallows. 

Last session we ran our own Blackwood map for a while this started happening on our server. Nitrado couldn't figure out the problem. They tried moving the server to newer hardware, reinstalling, etc. which helped initially but just went back to the issue. We went to the bug reports and submitted a ticket to GS and they said it was a Nitrado issue. 

Well, we ended up figuring it out ourselves finally.

We started poking around in the files and within atlasmain/shootergame/saved there is a file that holds information for the individual players. Not sure what all of it is but there were a couple that were very large, like 2.4GB PER PLAYER. The file extensions are XXXXXXXXXXXX.arkprofile. We analyzed the file and it was just a bunch of bed activity and other nonsense. So we deleted the largest file and viola, no issues. So now we go in and clean out all those files that get too large. It doesn't affect our game or characters at all so I'm not sure what the purpose is. 

I don't know if the official servers work the same but I'm betting they probably do. We have a whole new team with new admins and a new head developer and I'm going to assume you guys know about this BUT the issues that I'm seeing on the official servers are EXACTLY what we were experiencing as well. Maybe you guys need to check those files and see what they look like. Because something is WRONG with the servers right now.

It's mainly due to the population of not only the tile your in...but the amount of people playing on that server!  At peek times eu pve server pings 255 with the resource monitor on pc telling me that atlas exe. file is pushing 70k bytes /second when normally its only 500bytes/second....it the optimization in the game....it sucks !

16 hours ago, RedWolfxD said:

Uh, maybe post this under "feedback and suggestions"?

I did under a thread SERVER LAG/RUBBERBANDING/DISCONNENTS

@ATLAS @Chismebeard  Is it too much to ask to at least acknowledge that you've heard our issue and are looking into it? These aren't just isolated events and every server grid I've been on has had issues.