Sign in to follow this  
Leynor

Multiple Birth Mutation a thing?

Good afternoon.  Im just getting into breeding and never played ark so perhaps this is obvious to some but Ill ask it anyway.  

Is there such a thing as a multiple birth mutation?

My male breeding bear as a mutation and has passed it on to offspring and I cant seem to figure out what that mutation is.  I put folders for each of the stats to track it but it doesn't look like a stat mutation.  I don't think its a color mutation because seems to spawn a couple of different colors.  

What I have noticed though, is that the birthing bears that I use with that male seem to pump out twins a lot.  I have 3 breeding females and the male with that mutation and I haven't had a group yet paired off with that male where at least one of the females didn't produce twins.  

It's random, i'm not sure the exact values but u have % chance for them to be solo, twins, trips, quads, also a % chance for a mutation be it a stat mutation or colour mutation, sadly no colours are in the game yet as mutations, so are useless mutations.

I really like the Jade cocoon Ps1 game style of breeding.  It still is the best breeding type combat game you will ever see.   

9 hours ago, Leynor said:

Good afternoon.  Im just getting into breeding and never played ark so perhaps this is obvious to some but Ill ask it anyway.  

My male breeding bear as a mutation and has passed it on to offspring and I cant seem to figure out what that mutation is.  I put folders for each of the stats to track it but it doesn't look like a stat mutation.  I don't think its a color mutation because seems to spawn a couple of different colors.  

What I have noticed though, is that the birthing bears that I use with that male seem to pump out twins a lot.  I have 3 breeding females and the male with that mutation and I haven't had a group yet paired off with that male where at least one of the females didn't produce twins.  

Without a scope mod, on an unofficial server, you may not be able to tell where the mutation occurred.  Even then, you have to be very diligent about spotting the mutation.

This is what you MUST do, if you want to be a breeder.

1. Make sure that any animal that is tamed, has folders created in its inventory.  One for each stat, including torpor.  You do this immediately after taming.
  2. Make sure all babies have folders created for each stat.  This must be done between claiming the baby, and it's first imprinting.
  3. Screenshots can also be used, but risky, as that file can be deleted, or lost, or you forget to label the file, or somebody changes the name of the animal, and now you don't know which file belongs to that animal.  Folders in the animal are there forever, unless deleted, or the animal dies, in which case they are no longer needed.
  4. When a baby is born, and you have created those folders, you next step is to check ancestry, to look for mutations.  This tells you which side the mutation came from.
  5. You now only have to compare the baby's stats to the parent's stat, that gave the baby a mutated stat.
  6. If you do not see a stat that is mutated, look closer.  For instance, the mother may have had a 7 Melee, while the dad had a 9.  The baby has a 9, so you assume that the stat is from the dad...no, it is from the mom, and and the 7 mutated to a 9.

I used those numbers, because that is what you see with something like the "awesome spyscope."  The point is that those numbers point to a specific stat that is always the same from animal to animal.  Like 150% Melee, for instance.  So let's use that number, and this is why the folders are important.  Let's say you breed bears, and are now using two of those to breed with.  You imprinted them, and have added levels, so now you do not know what the "RAW STAT" is.  The Raw Stat is that 150% Melee, that you saw, right after claiming the baby, and before you did any imprinting.  Note, that when I say claiming...that can be confused with imprinting.  Claiming is when the baby has popped out of the mom, and has a red tag, and it is telling you to press E to imprint it.  You are claiming the baby when you do this.  This is when you want to create those folders.  These are the stats that will be passed on to a baby.  In the stats you cannot see, each stat will have a number.  Those numbers, plus one, will add up to the level of the baby when born, or an animal that you tame, after it has been tamed.  You see that as its "wild levels."  Those numbers are random.  You can have a bear with anything from a 0, to something much higher.  Extremely high numbers are rare.  The number could never be higher than the wild levels minus 1.  For instance, if you tamed a bear and it tames out to a level 5, the highest stat any stat could have, is a 4.  It is more likely that you would have 4 stats with a 1.  The rest would be 0.   I have not done the work to figure out what all the possible stats are, when an animal is tamed.  If I had, I could tell what number each stat translates to.  To give you an idea, here is a low level Squid from Ark.  It is a good example, because it has very similar numbers to what a level 30 would tame out to.

20181118024139_1.jpg?width=1202&height=6

If you notice, the numbers add up to 44, which is one short of the level of the squid.  Those are the numbers I was referring to.  So now, with these squids, and squid with a 9 health, is going to have 6.4k health.  But this is a squid from Crystal Isles, that can't be tamed.

TL,DR

So let's assume this squid is tamable, and a good level.  You have two tamed squids.  This one...the dad... has the higher stats for Health(6.4K), Food(5.8K), and Stamina(510). The mutation says it came from the dad.  So you want one of those stats, mutated to a higher level.  Is the light coming on?  It's quite easy.  If you do not see one of those stats with an increased value, it is not going to be a breeder.  It did not get a good mutation.

NOTE: Folders must be created immediately after taming a wild, or claiming a baby.  Imprinting a baby...hugging or taking for a walk...adds to the value of the stats, hiding who the parent is for each stat.  Same for adding levels to an animal.  The folders must be created when you see the raw stats.  Or you will need to have those values written down, or in a screenshot.   Folders in the inventory, are the best option.  For the Squid above, one folder would say, Stamina 510.  Another would say Health 6400.  Etc...

On 6/6/2019 at 12:58 PM, Leynor said:

Was my post, at all helpful to you?  You have to be very diligent about identifying the mutations, and NOT using bad mutations for breeding.  Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK, a mutation doesn't have to be passed along, to still have the mutations saying, for instance, 1/20.  In other words, let's say your male bear had a mutated Melee stat, and that is higher than the female.  But the baby comes out with the mom's melee state...when you check the baby's mutations, it still says, 1/20, just like the dad.  That count is really just keeping count of the mutations that occurred in the breeding line, on both the paternal, and maternal sides.  Trust me on this...the most tenacious breeders toss away a lot of babies...good babies...to get what they want.  But, you also have to throw away a lot of bad babies...a lot of bad babies.  Keeping track of those mutations is a must.  One slip up can ruin your whole breeding line, especially if you are not retaining all of the parents.  Without those parents, you can't backtrack to get rid of an unwanted mutation.

Now, I don't know yet, if Atlas is allowing what we did in ARK, but in ARK, this is what we did.

Breed for just Melee mutations only.  You keep breeding for just Melee mutations until both the maternal and paternal mutations are maxxed out.  Then you set some babies aside with that max melee, and start doing the same with "clean" parents...no mutations...and look for health mutations.  Repeat the same process.  Breed the max melee babies with the max health babies.  Look for babies that catch both stats.

There may be a limit to this on Atlas, and in fact, I am sure there is.  But this just makes it even more important not to waste mutations on useless stats.  1. Melee and Health.  2. Stamina and Weight.  All others are basically useless.  If you cannot see the mutation, it is not a keeper.  Make that baby a company bear, for general use.

Also, all mutations include both a color, and a stat mutation.  Also, while rare, a negative mutation can occur...so again, the dad can have a 9 melee, and the mom a 7, and the baby get a 7 melee, which is the dad's melee, mutated negatively to be the same as the mothers.  But again, don't let this be complicated...if you can't see a good mutation...stop worrying about it...you didn't get a good mutation.  It's NOT a breeder.  In other words, if you were looking for a Health or Melee mutation, and it says the dad gave the mutation, but you don't see a health or melee stat better than the dad's...you didn't get what you were looking for.  Don't breed that baby.

• Like 1