Sign in to follow this  
Zoin

Feedback on claims - Food - Spawn areas

So I have been trying to really enjoy this game for some time now - some parts I have enjoyed a lot, but other parts has caused me serious frustration to no end.

One of the causes for this would be spawn camping when you have no other choice but to go to a lawless region and start from there.

When you have people at level 8-16 or even higher running around in full metal armor, using guns, sword and shield, and kill you, destroy your bed - just because they can, from which after you then have to spawn at the sea bed (which obviously is a bug) at the center of the map, unable to even get back to whatever you were doing - then there's no chance for you to actually progress and move on.

Spawning in a tundra lawless region will result in you being stuck - I'm not even sure why these areas are spawnable, there's no fiber - you can't make basic items, you will die from the cold or starve to death before - and generally speaking, would never be able to even make any tools.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not there being no fiber on in the Tundra regions outside the freeport is a bug or not.

The only way to progress properly is to make sure that you actually have a safe space to build, doing this usually requires you to go claim a piece of land - Currently we're able to progress past level 8 on lawless regions, not sure if that is going to stay or not, though not that it matters due to the reasons stated above.

When it comes to lawless regions, even if you can't claim anything on there you still most likely wouldn't be able to progress or get off the island due to the issues of companies or alliances who's progressed so much further into the game that you would have no chance of going up against them

I have experienced being killed by a level 16 in full metal armor, with a gun (took him 3 shots though) - capable of running at the same speed as I was while reloading to stay ahead of me, or keep up with me, meaning I wouldn't be able to escape anyway.

Even if you were to get off the island, and then try to find a new spot to claim for yourself you'll probably find yourself hardpressed to do so.

Apparently everyone can claim as many areas as they want, meaning if you try to contest an area that company will get a notification of you trying to take over the area - giving them time to come and defend, and even if they diddent actually manage to get there in time, they would end up just taking it back, killing you, taking whatever you might have gathered at the time, or simply just destroy it.

While one self has been put back to square one, well.. maybe except for your level ofc.

I hear a lot of people talking about everyone player should only have 1 claim that they can do - I propose that instead claims should have a maintenance cost which raises in cost exponetionally as you claim more areas.

With this any company doing claims would have to think about how much they claim vs. how many resources they can gather before having to pay the maintenance fee (weekly or monthly). Also Leaving more space for others to actually establish them selves, since as it is right now - any newcomer or anyone who hasnt been able to actually join the game properly due to issues, be that either full servers, login issues, crashed servers (etc) simply have no chance of actually trying to enjoy the game.

Sure some people say that its supposed to be ruthless - but I don't believe for a second that anyone who is incapable of progressing would want to stick around, eventually only leaving those who's already established themselves.

Having a maintenance cost on claims like this could potentially also tie directly into the economy.

As for the lawless regions and people killing new players, or players who's got no beds etc. I honostly don't know how you would go about fixing that without directly just dissalowing access for higher level players, or people who has a bed already into the region, or disabling pvp in lawless regions (which imo isnt really an option).

I would like to spawn in a freeport, but can't since they are usually always full.

Currently what I think is happening is that, those who can't claim an island or a spot on an island has gone and simply just went to try and build up from a lawless region, even if they can't spawn on their bed on land.

So you have these very powerful players running around on those islands "claiming" them in the sense that they are simply just denying access to anyone else by killing them.

When you're in a cold region you seem to be fighting your hunger levels more than anything, cooked meat doesnt seem to replenish your hunger all that much, where as eating berries too much, or meat even will just result in vitamin poisoning eventually causing you to die from either starvation or because of to vitamin poisoning.

This certainly needs a lot more balance, if vitamins is going to be staying.

• Like 1

Supporting this topic too !! Since we're on the same boat about the CLAIMS.

There is actually two topics about that, so you can join both of them to give your support !! Let's change everything boiii !!

There are a couple of problems that I believed have enhanced the dissatisfaction among most players. The game was branded more or less as a pirate exploration game. The hard truth however, is that the game is much more about survival. Instead of pirating on the high seas, most players are struggling to even get through a night without freezing to death or dying of a vitamin deficiency. While I personally don’t mind the difficulty, some players want an experience where blundering is the main focus. Most games don’t show off the unpleasant grinding part of the game, but this one was hard to accept due to how difficult it is to even go anywhere on a raft for some people, let alone build an actual ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whatwhat Stormrider said:

There are a couple of problems that I believed have enhanced the dissatisfaction among most players. The game was branded more or less as a pirate exploration game. The hard truth however, is that the game is much more about survival. Instead of pirating on the high seas, most players are struggling to even get through a night without freezing to death or dying of a vitamin deficiency. While I personally don’t mind the difficulty, some players want an experience where blundering is the main focus. Most games don’t show off the unpleasant grinding part of the game, but this one was hard to accept due to how difficult it is to even go anywhere on a raft for some people, let alone build an actual ship.

It was always said it was a survival. I would recommend PvE server if PvP doesn't suit how you want to play.

Claim system does need work.

So does vitamin system

A bunch of systems for sure

They will get tweaked over EA

Harsh truth is a pirates life is not easy 

Edited by Hackjob

2 minutes ago, whatwhat Stormrider said:

I knew it was a survival game when I first got the game - but it was also advertised to me being a sandbox overall which would allow for trading, colony/town building, piracy, and politics - you know player driven, while still maintaining the idea of not just having people going full KOS on everyone.

Obviously I knew that this was most likely not going to be the case, since the mentality often dictates that people just want to kill others when it comes to pvp and prevent them from progressing.

Having no way to actually progress outside of a freeport (until level 8 ) or tying the entire progression to the islands is hugely problematic when there's not enough space for people to actually go and claim.

If the aim is 40K players on simultainously then you should atleast expect the double amount of people playing and making enough space to actually build on for that.

Consider this - EVE Online has between 20K - 40K people playing at any given time (not sure if this number is higher or lower anymore though) - they have over 7500 star systems ( Not all can be owned by players though) - If you want to lay claim to space in there you have to push someone out.

But you got high-security space which would still allow you to progress in one way or another up until you think you might have a chance to do so.

Then you got Atlas, 700 islands - 255 regions - 40K players, possibly more, smallish islands, that yes - can be shared by multiple companies/people, but doesnt really allow for it due to the KOS mentality - then you'll end up with a huge portion of your playerbase which simply just won't be able to enjoy the game at all - unless they actually take satisfaction in just being dominated constantly and looking at the respawn screen 😕

3 hours ago, Hackjob said:

It was always said it was a survival. I would recommend PvE server if PvP doesn't suit how you want to play.

Claim system does need work.

So does vitamin system

A bunch of systems for sure

They will get tweaked over EA

Harsh truth is a pirates life is not easy 

I don’t have a problem with the survival aspects. I said that in the post. I am just saying that for some casual players who haven’t played ARK, the game may be a little more difficult to the point of turning them away since it takes a lot of time to even get started.