Sign in to follow this  
Badkebab

Crafting system revamp

In 2003 star wars galaxies was released and featured the best crafting and shop system I have ever encountered in an mmo I have never seen it replicated since despite it being so engaging it wss practically its own game. 

Resources were always present but their quality and properties changed once a week as did their spawn location, there were no "nodes" a prospecting device indicated what resource was near you and how concentrated it was where you were standing. You moved around closing in on the source until you had a high concentration and you slapped down a harvester pumped some money into it and it started harvesting. 

Resources had different properties such as tensile strength, density, flexibility and so on, these all had a bearing on the properties of the final product. So if you built armour from resources with high strength but also high density then it would be strong but also weigh a lot.

Crafters would scour the planets looking for amazing resources to craft items with amazing properties and the best Crafters gained a reputation for their quality workmanship and their player run shops were sought after. 

Now I'm not aware of the features and limitations of the unreal engine but if the crafting system were ever to be reimagined a more engaging system such as that described above would be wonderful. Might also remove the need for guillotines. 

Edited by Badkebab