Sign in to follow this  
Pouik

Solo playing on local game ?

Ahoy all !

i'm wondering if there is now or there will have later a local solo mode (like ark)

i'd like to play, but i can't,

i have a timeout connection error since yesterday, my friend also, our raft is probably destroyed

and i think even if i would be able to join server we won't be able to progress in game cause there are no more claimable lands ...

a local game mode would be great for all those who just want to play relax, take time to learn mechanics, etc etc...

anyone heard about that ?

There is no solo play option at present. Given that Atlas is billed as am MMO/survival hybrid, and MMO’s by their nature need large groups of players playing together in the same game world to function properly, offering solo play option would work against stated design goals. Having said that, the developers have not to my knowledge commented one way or the other which means they haven’t ruled it out. Realistically I wouldn’t hold your breathe.

oh ok... then we need to wait that claiming rules bto be changed to be able to craft a boat...

would love it to be solo single local play too

am in a small corp with 4 other people that joined me and we are on an island with 5 other crews and 1 more crew on the next island over all in one major alliance.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

There is no solo play option at present. Given that Atlas is billed as am MMO/survival hybrid, and MMO’s by their nature need large groups of players playing together in the same game world to function properly, offering solo play option would work against stated design goals. Having said that, the developers have not to my knowledge commented one way or the other which means they haven’t ruled it out. Realistically I wouldn’t hold your breathe.

Ark is listed as an MMO on Steam in the devs assigned tags. It has single player mode.

Also, how will mod authors and server owners test mods.

I think the devs are really limiting the game by not including single player mode. Or an easier local server hosting method.

Stick to a freeport that you don't lag out on. If you keep getting connection errors, validate your local game files on steam.

1.) Right click on game name in game library

2.) Go to properties

3.) Click local files

4.) Validate files

If that doesn't work, then reinstall. My nephew had the same problem.

I'm going to be typing up what i'm assuming is the first guide on these forums here very soon.

Honestly .. they should have made a Local mode ... it would have been much better release  had they had an offline mode that everyone could play and learn on while the server issues were being taken care of ... the majority of the issues have been server related ..not client rendering

Edited by Jasterthemaster

2 hours ago, Lynx said:

Ark is listed as an MMO on Steam in the devs assigned tags. It has single player mode.

Also, how will mod authors and server owners test mods.

I think the devs are really limiting the game by not including single player mode. Or an easier local server hosting method.

ark might be listed as an MMO on steam, but no one who understands the differences structurally considers Ark an MMORPG. Do not make the mistake of pointing at Ark when talking about Atlas and thinking the two are or should be completely comparable. Atlas is billed as a MMORPG/survival hybrid. If it were intended to be just like Ark they would have just called it survival and left it at that. Atlas is intended to have far more of a massive game world with tons of players in the same world feel, whereas Ark was endless iterations of a core concept. This is why I find the decision to allow modding and private servers to be a curious one, as it works against encouraging everyone to play in a small number of worlds.

The two biggest hallmarks of an MMORPG that require lots of players are economy and endgame raiding. To the extent that Grapeshot allows/encourages players to play outside of officials, they are shooting themselves in the foot with regards to enhancing these aspects by having as many players being a part of the same game world as possible. At this point the decision is  head scratcher from where I sit, but perhaps there is some as yet unrevealed aspect of Atlas's design that will address this in some way. Only time will tell.

Edited by boomervoncannon