Donna Pulsen

Lets talk weapons,Weapons, Rifles,Flintlock rifles, bayonets. (Pirates of the Caribbean FANTASY/History)

More guns or more primative weapons?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Blackpowder guns or more primative weapons?

• Blackpowder weapons
    • Bows and arrows

Alright so I know this is alpha, but I feel like the developers have missed the mark for a pirate game.
first off weapons. Fantasy or historical pirates did not use bows/Crossbows in the 1400s to the 1800's they did not use primitive weapons.
the gun had taken the world by storm and for good reason.

some people brought up a good point, this is not historical at all. fine then let's have a look at Pirates of the Caribbean, the closest thing we have to this game.
all using guns of various types, not a bow or spear in sight (not counting the natives)
it's guns, guns, guns. and for good reason.

I saw the new weapon (the crossbow) and I was extremely disappointed. crossbows were not used by pirates fantasy or history.

we need more variations of firearms in this game, and not at all so high in the skill try at all. we should be making hunting rifles muskets and flintlocks right off the bat no questions asked. this is not ark...
bayonets were also common on ships with royal marines, they were great for repelling boarders, where are our bayonets?

let me make this clearer, I do not care whoever says I am wrong, we should NOT be using bows in a game like this, this is not Ark, we are not progressing from the stone age, we are around the 16 to 1800's judging by the mythology and ships in the game. again the pirates of the Caribbean argument, and there are ways to do it without jumping straight to high tech guns.

Devs take heed, more guns, not so high in the skill tree at all, we should be hunting with rifles not bows, we are not tribal. 
and the way to do it is with the various weapon types back then too.

1st you have Match lock or Wheel lock if you want to be old and primitive
2nd then muskets (unrifled flintlocks)
3rd then you have flintlocks
4th and if you REALLLLLLY wanted to push it, cartridge weapons like the breach loading civil war guns but that could be pushing it.

On top of that, we have variations of those weapons, Short barrel, long barrel, double barrel, better quality metal or wood.

there are ways to balance these to early levels too. with the matchlock have the powder dump out and need replacing if you sprint, have it miss fire, there are many things that can be done to justify getting a gun very early on without having to go primitive. bows and cross bows are NOT the answer.
guns should hit like a truck but take a long time to reload.

Edited by Donna Pulsen
Added more

Agreed, the bows have always driven my nuts. Spears are all right, puke were a common weapon to find on a ship. Also for spear fishing, would be awesome if the inplamented a Hawaiian sling! 

The reason for bows/ Crossbows is that they shoot faster, and can be used in wet weather, where silent and the major thing was the storing and making of black-powder for what you need sulfer/brimstone, charcoal and salpeter components that where hard to come by and break down easily 

Sulfer being mined mostly near volcanic regions and Salpeter had to collected from Poo and urine soaked ground.

Salpeter mines are mining guano, old bat poo

On the side note they where in active use in England till 1658 and the ottoman cavalry rill 1826.

Also it was a weapon favourite by rebbels during most of history at leased until it was easier to store and acces black-powder and the last longbow kill was in 1940 in Dunkirk.

Taking in account the game uses most parts of 1700 the bow is historical correct in using them.

I do agree on the firearms, there need to be more variants of them and their ammunition.

Some quirky weapons the should include are the Pepperbus, Duckfoot pistol, Volley gun, the French knife-pistol.

For archery they should include iron arrows at leased.

Would be nice to have the repeating crossbow as well

On 4/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, Donna Pulsen said:

Fantasy or historical pirates did not use bows/Crossbows in the 1400s to the 1800's they did not use primitive weapons.
the gun had taken the world by storm and for good reason.

some people brought up a good point, this is not historical at all. fine then let's have a look at Pirates of the Caribbean, the closest thing we have to this game.
all using guns of various types, not a bow or spear in sight (not counting the natives)
it's guns, guns, guns. and for good reason.

I saw the new weapon (the crossbow) and I was extremely disappointed. crossbows were not used by pirates fantasy or history.

Devs take heed, more guns, not so high in the skill tree at all, we should be hunting with rifles not bows, we are not tribal. 
and the way to do it is with the various weapon types back then too.

bows and cross bows are NOT the answer.

Bows and crossbows have a place in this Imaginary and Fantasy MMORPG and their ability to fire underwater and silently is a godsend! I am praying that they increase the damage of the crossbow to balance with pistols. I vote to leave the bows in. If you want historical content then move on to another kind of game like the "Call of Duty" series. The devs said all along that Atlas was a Fantasy, Survival Pirate MMORPG.

Edited by vaylain