Revenant

Add upkeep to claims

So me and my crew spent the last 24 hours exploring after being bugged out since launch, and have yet to find a single island with enough unclaimed space left to drop a single flag uncontested.  This really cramps progression and heavily favors the people who didn't get stuck in limbo and got a head start.  

First thing, it seems like anybody can place an almost unlimited number of claims.  I think this really ought to be capped to a certain number for solo players and a number based on member count for companies.  One island we found seemed to all be claimed by a single person, with no buildings present and nobody around... Yet it would still take an hour and a half of waiting around to take even one chunk.

Second, I think claims should require some form of upkeep or they begin to decay.  Could be gold or resources, but it would help prevent people spamming random claims in the middle of the ocean for no apparent reason, or claiming a whole massive island for themselves like in the above example. 

As it is, there's really no downside to running around and claiming every square inch of free territory you come across.  I feel like the decision ought to be more strategic.

• Like 1

Agreed. there was a discussion about this earlier, my take was here (coincides with yours). Perhaps even an upfront cost to claim, atop of all that's been already said: