Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Spriggan

Claiming Land Needs Balance

Right now the players that are lucky enough to login and get a large company are claiming more and more islands without effort or resources. I feel that each company should only be able to plant ONE flag but have the claimed 'bubble' expand both over a period of time and for a certain resource - namely GOLD. Gold is in the game and as of yet there don't seem to be purpose to buy anything so paying to increase the size of your companies claim makes much more sense that just having infinite flags you can plop down for free.

It could be part of the gameplay, paying gold to the 'Crown' to expand your domain and in PVP worlds even could make Pirate Claims for Player Killers/Looters and make them function different. Basically they should function as an expanding circle growing until it hits another claim bubble but could envelope that other claim without actually taking it over. The maximum size for a territorial claim should be a single map tile/server giving around 200 companies minimum access to having a claim. This would make abandoning your claim much more likely once you find a better area for resources preventing the game from stagnating or a company from getting far too powerful/owning the whole map.

I totally agree, way back in the original Guild wars you had to earn a token to get a guild island. If they gave each company one flag-token to start with and this flag-token claimed an island for that company. To earn another flag-token the company would have to perform some service for either the "King" whoever that may be, such as destroying the hydra that lives on xxxx island. While it is still early days I would like to see a bit of life into the oceans in the forms of living NPCs not just the ships of the damned. A bit of story to the land that you can interact with really helps immersion.