Sign in to follow this  
Nominal_Giant

Better solutions for the weight issue?

As far as I know on official PVE servers people now cant get on other people boats unless they are in the company or allied and that takes away from the immersion I think. I'd like to purpose maybe some better ideas to solve this ship sinking greifing problem without making things annoying....hopefully.

1.  if someone is overweight don't let them pop out of the water to land on a raft or anything for that matter. Maybe add an option to board the raft from the water if the encumbered player owns the raft.

2.  if someone is overweight don't let them climb ladders 

3.  if someone is overweight don't let them jump at all (already done)

4.  if someone is overweight don't let them glide (done) or zipline (maybe make the zip line or glider break if they try)

5.  don't let people drop items in a set radius around rafts or boats that aren't theirs. This will prevent people who are encumbered from dropping items near a raft then getting on the raft or boat and picking the dropped items back up.

6. Somehow block items from landing on ships that are "thrown" from a distance 

7. Prevent encumbered players from moving at all if they reach their weight limit.

I'm no programmer or anything I just think these may be some better ways to solve the problem and not take away from the immersion is all. I think these ideas are better than the current solution but maybe not i'm just spit balling here

40 minutes ago, Nominal_Giant said:

As far as I know on official PVE servers people now cant get on other people boats unless they are in the company or allied and that takes away from the immersion I think. I'd like to purpose maybe some better ideas to solve this ship sinking greifing problem without making things annoying....hopefully.

1.  if someone is overweight don't let them pop out of the water to land on a raft or anything for that matter. Maybe add an option to board the raft from the water if the encumbered player owns the raft.

2.  if someone is overweight don't let them climb ladders 

3.  if someone is overweight don't let them jump at all (already done)

4.  if someone is overweight don't let them glide (done) or zipline (maybe make the zip line or glider break if they try)

5.  don't let people drop items in a set radius around rafts or boats that aren't theirs. This will prevent people who are encumbered from dropping items near a raft then getting on the raft or boat and picking the dropped items back up.

6. Somehow block items from landing on ships that are "thrown" from a distance 

7. Prevent encumbered players from moving at all if they reach their weight limit.

I'm no programmer or anything I just think these may be some better ways to solve the problem and not take away from the immersion is all. I think these ideas are better than the current solution but maybe not i'm just spit balling here

So I'm going to counter some of this.  But I like where your going as the current solution could definitely use a finesse pass to make it better.

First off, we need to determine what is actually considered overweight, the current implementation seems to allow players to carry excess weight and move even over their weight stat allows.  If this is unintended then a proper patch preventing it needs to occur, if this is intended then all signs point toward your proposed solutions preventing proper usage of the mechanic by company members for loading their ships and such.

1. This would likely end up in players who are unaware of the change drowning and then losing their gear while salvaging(as you said, if they are overweight they can't get on anything land or boats alike.)

2. This would end in players who again are not entirely aware of the mechanics getting eaten by a shark or other predator while trying to figure out why they can't climb the ladder to their own ships.

3. Not needed to be mentioned in the first place.

4. Zipline, I can see usable functionality being missed here a zip line can be weighted for more than you can, perhaps adding a weight to this to allow for players to make  fast delivery of goods possible.  Preventing zip lines from attaching to boats would be a good option but anything that involves a radius around a boat simply won't work(you can just wait til the boat isn't there and do it before they come back).

5. Radius issue, people will just do this at a further radius and if players are not around they'll walk that distance or will involve more players.

6. Probably possible but doesn't really solve anything.

7. Depending on what the devs intended functionality behind this is I could get behind this idea but it overall doesn't actually solve the problem.

Now I know that all seems like I'm being rather negative, I just want to come to a conclusion that is as well thought out as possible and that means we have to consider all possibilities.  The current solution isn't a bad start to what needs to happen.  Making anchored ships not take any damage or sink based on player count/weight would be a good option as well but I have a feeling there are some background difficulties in making something like that happen that we just aren't aware of.

If we consider that perhaps being able to move with increased weight(way over max capacity) was intended, then the fix for just simply not applying weight/player/creature count to the boats needs to be done, even if it takes longer it would be the better solution but only while anchored, and sinking of any kind from overweight needs to be a much slower thing so that if people were to sneak aboard and hide while you were offline and you go to take the boat out you aren't completely screwed.

I do happen to like that stowaways can't be a thing on my boat now though.

• Like 1

It's easier too. Overloaded boats and animals just can not move like in Ark and the crew limit only applies to NPCs.

Both are simply stupid mechanics that bring more trouble than good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

So I'm going to counter some of this.  But I like where your going as the current solution could definitely use a finesse pass to make it better.

First off, we need to determine what is actually considered overweight, the current implementation seems to allow players to carry excess weight and move even over their weight stat allows.  If this is unintended then a proper patch preventing it needs to occur, if this is intended then all signs point toward your proposed solutions preventing proper usage of the mechanic by company members for loading their ships and such.

1. This would likely end up in players who are unaware of the change drowning and then losing their gear while salvaging(as you said, if they are overweight they can't get on anything land or boats alike.)

2. This would end in players who again are not entirely aware of the mechanics getting eaten by a shark or other predator while trying to figure out why they can't climb the ladder to their own ships.

3. Not needed to be mentioned in the first place.

4. Zipline, I can see usable functionality being missed here a zip line can be weighted for more than you can, perhaps adding a weight to this to allow for players to make  fast delivery of goods possible.  Preventing zip lines from attaching to boats would be a good option but anything that involves a radius around a boat simply won't work(you can just wait til the boat isn't there and do it before they come back).

5. Radius issue, people will just do this at a further radius and if players are not around they'll walk that distance or will involve more players.

6. Probably possible but doesn't really solve anything.

7. Depending on what the devs intended functionality behind this is I could get behind this idea but it overall doesn't actually solve the problem.

Now I know that all seems like I'm being rather negative, I just want to come to a conclusion that is as well thought out as possible and that means we have to consider all possibilities.  The current solution isn't a bad start to what needs to happen.  Making anchored ships not take any damage or sink based on player count/weight would be a good option as well but I have a feeling there are some background difficulties in making something like that happen that we just aren't aware of.

If we consider that perhaps being able to move with increased weight(way over max capacity) was intended, then the fix for just simply not applying weight/player/creature count to the boats needs to be done, even if it takes longer it would be the better solution but only while anchored, and sinking of any kind from overweight needs to be a much slower thing so that if people were to sneak aboard and hide while you were offline and you go to take the boat out you aren't completely screwed.

I do happen to like that stowaways can't be a thing on my boat now though.

I see where you are coming from with the not popping out of the water when near a raft or dock 🙂 I'm not suggesting people just sink either or that they cant just walk onto land. I'm just thinking a lot of the problem could be solved by not allowing overweight players to pop out of the water automatically. I thought maybe swimming while overweight could just eat at the stamina giving players time to get to land. As far as the ladder thing goes its just seems kinda weird that anyone that is overweight can just shimmy up a ladder may just be me though. I personally wouldn't mind having to pay better attention to the weight i'm carrying if it means a troop of overweight randos cant board and sink my ship if for some reason I forget to retract my ladders lol. Anyway I didn't take you as being negative I was just putting ideas out there 🙂 and I appreciate the input I want the same thing when it comes to a well thought out conclusion.

• Like 1