Hello all,

I am looking at pressing the button in the purchase of a refurbed rack server to run a big map on this game like a 5x5 or even a 6x6 PvP server. The specs are as follows:

• 2 x Intel Xeon X5675 Six Core Hex 3.06 GHz processor ( 12 Cores Total )
  • 8x 300GB 2.5" 10K Enterprise disk WD
  • 128GB DDR3 Memory
  • 1 x PSU Installed ( 870W )

From what I know, the ram is 1333 mhz, its definately got enough ram and the processors are rock solid I just need to know before hitting the button whether this would be powerful enough to even run one Atlas server, let alone multiple grids.

Thanks in advance all.

8 minutes ago, Krat0s said:

Hello all,

I am looking at pressing the button in the purchase of a refurbed rack server to run a big map on this game like a 5x5 or even a 6x6 PvP server. The specs are as follows:

• 2 x Intel Xeon X5675 Six Core Hex 3.06 GHz processor ( 12 Cores Total )
  • 8x 300GB 2.5" 10K Enterprise disk WD
  • 128GB DDR3 Memory
  • 1 x PSU Installed ( 870W )

From what I know, the ram is 1333 mhz, its definately got enough ram and the processors are rock solid I just need to know before hitting the button whether this would be powerful enough to even run one Atlas server, let alone multiple grids.

Thanks in advance all.

How many players do you want to support per grid? That will greatly depend on what CPU power you need. If it's just for a group of friends then you would probably get away with a 6x6 if you drop the server tick rate to 15 or 20. But if you want to go for say 50 players per grid, then i'd say even a 5x5 would be max and that still maybe pushing it due to the age of the processors. 

To give some perspective, i run a 4x3 with an 8 core 9900k at a server tick of 20. I'm aimed towards 50 players max per grid judging by the usage i'm seeing at the moment.

I was aiming for 50 players a grid yes.

Would you say a 4x4 would be possible with 50 players a grid? Is it just the processor holding me back from a larger player base then?

2 minutes ago, Krat0s said:

I was aiming for 50 players a grid yes.

Would you say a 4x4 would be possible with 50 players a grid? Is it just the processor holding me back from a larger player base then?

I expect a 4x4 would be fine and to be honest you may well manage a 5x5. My suggestion would be go with a 4x4 and then expand to 5x5 if you need too. You can do this without a wipe if you plan it correctly 🙂 

Yep it's pretty much CPU restricted from going bigger, your memory will be fine. Also worth taking into account though that CPU usage should improve as time goes on, they have already stated that server optimisations are on their "further out".

• Thanks 1

Yes, I knew the RAM would be fine. I have an i9 7920x in my gaming PC which I know would easily run a huge server if I had enough RAM but 128gb of RAM in a gaming PC is a bit overkill and I dont think you could run 16 or more grids with 64gb of RAM.

8 minutes ago, Krat0s said:

Yes, I knew the RAM would be fine. I have an i9 7920x in my gaming PC which I know would easily run a huge server if I had enough RAM but 128gb of RAM in a gaming PC is a bit overkill and I dont think you could run 16 or more grids with 64gb of RAM.

Yep agree, only 64GB myself with my 4x3 and i think even a 4x4 would push things a bit. 

Just now, Shadowsong said:

Yep agree, only 64GB myself with my 4x3 and i think even a 4x4 would push things a bit. 

So, lets say I put 128gb of RAM into my gaming PC which has a i9 7920x in it (12 core, 24 threads) could I then run a 5x5 or bigger?

49 minutes ago, Krat0s said:

So, lets say I put 128gb of RAM into my gaming PC which has a i9 7920x in it (12 core, 24 threads) could I then run a 5x5 or bigger?

I think you would manage a 5x5 with that processor and 128GB of RAM yep, i wouldn't go bigger until you see usage per core when under some load. You can go above the 1 grid to core ratio if your processors managing alright. I have 12 grids to 8 cores on my 9900K which i found to handle it fine, but when i tried more than 1 grid per core on my Xeon E5-1630V3 it started to struggle a bit. But the latter is clocked considerably lower and is slower clock for clock when compared to more modern CPU's.

Do you use CPU affinity with your 4x3? And if so, what method do you use? I'm doing 12 grids on 32 thread Threadripper 1950X, and it seems like it's hammering 16 of the threads but barely touching the other 16. I would think it'd be better if I could spread that CPU usage out a bit more evenly.

What machine are we talking about here? Im working with 4 R710s currently, and possibly 4 more shortly. They top out at the X5690.

Edited by smooreace

2 hours ago, Kalizaar said:

Do you use CPU affinity with your 4x3? And if so, what method do you use? I'm doing 12 grids on 32 thread Threadripper 1950X, and it seems like it's hammering 16 of the threads but barely touching the other 16. I would think it'd be better if I could spread that CPU usage out a bit more evenly.

EDIT: Ignore the below, it's actually a flaw with the newer thread rippers that have 4 dies, not 2. So wouldn't benefit your setup. I'd consider trying to set CPU affinity instead and assign them to each of the cores.

Check this out - https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-performance-can-see-up-to-2x-boost-with-coreprio-tool.html

That maybe unrelated to the game but more of an issue with how windows currently handles the larger threadripper CPU's because of their dual die setup. I expect the tool may well help you out, but not tried it myself.

Edited by Shadowsong