Sign in to follow this  
Sench

[Gameplay] Varied resources

While I can appreciate the small touch of having different kinds of wood come from different trees etc, at the moment it's a very minor feature that has no impact on gameplay but makes inventory management significantly more annoying. Every type of wood, stone, flint, oil, hide etc is identical in gameplay terms, with the exception of not stacking. So here's what can be done with it:

1. Simple solution, remove them altogether, keeping only the base variant of each resource type. Trust me, nobody's going to complain about that tiny bit of immersion in this kind of game (or very few will, but many others will appreciate the convenience).

2. Interesting solution, make non-base materials provide added qualities to crafted items. For example, basic wood in a pike does nothing special. Strongwood increases durability, lightwood makes the item weigh less etc. Also lightwood itself could weigh less than basic wood.

Of course, this would require some kind of hook into reading which specific type of resource is being used and in what proportion to the total of that class, as well as one to impart bonuses on crafted items, and added parameters defining what advantages each material can provide in each item.

Knowing how the resource system is set up, I suspect that's impossible, but that would be very cool and it would more than justify gathering different types of resources and the annoyance of inventory management.

• Like 1

In fact to craft higher quality bluprints you need to gather different kinds of items from the different ressource categories... For wood you might have to gather 2 3 or 4 types of different wood items etc.. So something somewhat in the direction of what you ask is already in game.

Edited by Will Parrot

Except "you have to have X types of Y" to make good gear is punishing gameplay, whereas "you can do X with multiple types of Y" is rewarding gameplay.

inventory management is fairly easy, Just make a ship resource boxes and put it in your base, now you have all the items stacking and all in 1 spot. now go exploring, return home with a boat load of new resources, throw it all in your resource chest and you're golden 🙂  i had a stack of 250,000 + fibre on an unofficial server. Resource boxes are your key to success and there is no more need for a huge warehouse of large boxes. 😉 

Edited by RamboMcCoolio
  • Like 1