Sign in to follow this  
Miedein

Racsim in Atlas

So today I came across a little news article that I'm sure many of us have seen. This one here. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/racism-in-atlas-becomes-a-problem-as-western-and-chinese-players-clash/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

I gave it a good read and agree with a number of points here. The racism is toxic and needs to stop. That said however, there is one major point made here that is flawed. Where Mister Woodhouse says this. "With the ARK subreddit, we noticed that these things come and go in cycles," MisterWoodhouse says. "If there was a dominant tribe that was taking over a server and there was issues of glitching or duping, that would bombard the subreddit for a couple of weeks. But then it would die down. I think we're going to see that in Atlas. 

Mister Woodhouse, in this instance, couldn't be any further from the truth. It dies down in Ark cause it's only a single server. And what happens is the people overrun by the dominate tribes leave that server and drift over towards unofficial servers that actually have admins that care about their community and the fairness of the players. This will not be the case with Atlas. Because Atlas isn't multiple official servers you can just hop between if things aren't going your way in the server you're in. It's one big world. With up to 40k players logged into 1 server cluster at a time. The small scale incidents of chinesse or dominant tribes are far greater amplified here. I play on the NA PVE official server. And while thankfully I don't have to worry about waking up the next day, logging in, to find all my ships sunk and my base destroyed and ransacked. I do have an even bigger issue I have to deal with. The fact that even now after all the changes done so far to the claim system on PVE.

I have literally had instances of as soon as I finished putting a claim flag down and I claim the land, a chinesse player has come right behind me within an hour and started to contest the claim using proxy servers to confuse the timers. And they admitted to being able to do this. Sadly I do not have the screenshots of the conversation. 

However, from my own personal experience in many survival games and any game that did not allow or enforce region locking. Chinesse players have always had an advantage over the NA players due to higher ping making them almost impossible to hit in pvp, and in pve instances, always found ways to circumvent game mechanics to screw over NA players at every turn.

So, Mister Woodhouse. This problem may very well die down. After the chinesse have driven off all the players from Atlas cause the reason I don't go to an unofficial server is because I want to have the full 15x15 grid before me to set sail across. But because I'm constantly having to play dirty right back in order to protect my holdings in PVE of all places, it's only a matter of time before I say screw it and leave a game that I have already sunk 222 hours in as of this post. Even if setting up a server in China would be a huge pain in the net to establish. If I'm not mistaken, WildCard's parent company is based in China, and even failing that, you can far more easily set up a server for the asian playerbase in Korea or Japan. 

Unofficial servers are not going to have the same scale cause no one is going to be able to have their own full 15x15 server, its too expensive for a single person to afford, and I've got plenty of disposable income myself and can't afford it. And the official servers are slowly being taken over by a playerbase, no one from north america wants playing with them. So the end result will be, at the game's current course, the PVE server will be fully controlled and played by the Chinesse players and no one from NA will play the game anymore. I leave PVP out cause I do feel that the NA PVP players will rise up and wipe the chinesse completely off the map. But that's just going to push more to PVE, the one's in my grid already have claimed to have come from PVP and gotten wiped out there. 

So GrapeShot Studios. What are you going to do about this problem? It isn't going to just go away as Mister Woodhouse states. The scale here is WAY bigger than Ark. All I can do on a PVE server to slow these guys down is try to lure alpha predators towards them. Since they don't seem to know how to defend themselves. Or I have to rush to whatever of my territory they are contesting and camp there waiting for them to get bored, which they don't. And slowly loss what land I have left. Even though my claim is SUPPOSED to be protected. 

• Like 1

I'm so sick of people who cry "racism".  What do you want?  A pat on the back?  I call these people "pat on the backs".

Truth sounds like hate to people who hate the truth.

When someone cries "racism" what they REALLY mean is "STFU, I don't want you to have the right to speak".

32 minutes ago, [616]RexFortis said:

I'm so sick of people who cry "racism".  What do you want?  A pat on the back?  I call these people "pat on the backs".

Truth sounds like hate to people who hate the truth.

When someone cries "racism" what they REALLY mean is "STFU, I don't want you to have the right to speak".

Hate speech has consistently and notably been excluded by law and courts from free speech protections including the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution.  So while it's true that some folks use charges of racism to try to stiffle dissent, and this is a problem, actual racist comments (and if you read the article this is what is being discussed) are not generally protected. Your comment makes no distinction between the two.

Edited by boomervoncannon

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Hate speech has consistently and notably been excluded by law and courts from free speech protections including the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution. 

I could care less what some treasonous politician wants to pen in ink.  Could care less.

You mean the founding fathers that wrote the constitution? 

So that doesn't make any sense, unless of course you're British, then that makes a lot more sense.

Besides, it's all temporary anyway.  As soon as society collapses, and it will, everything will fall back to its natural state.  No pen and ink will save it at that point.  Political correctness is a very temporary thing - I give it another 50 years at most in the time tables of history.

Edited by [616]RexFortis

Did you even read the point I was bringing with this thread? Just stop before you derail this further.

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Hate speech has consistently and notably been excluded by law and courts from free speech protections including the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution.  So while it's true that some folks use charges of racism to try to stiffle dissent, and this is a problem, actual racist comments (and if you read the article this is what is being discussed) are not generally protected. Your comment makes no distinction between the two.

Racist comments actually are protected. Point is moot though, this is a private company not a public square. You can go down to a given street corner or rent out a theater and say what ever you like barring only incitement of violence. And youll be protected by the constitution. 

7 minutes ago, McGimp said:

this is a private company not a public square.

The beautiful thing about that is we can choose to boycott the "private company" from any future purchases.  It's called "voting with your dollars".

Edited by [616]RexFortis

I witnessed a game called Robocraft abuse its players with so much strict chat control by abusive moderators that it is now almost out of business.

1 minute ago, [616]RexFortis said:

The beautiful thing about that is we can choose to boycott the "private company" from any future purchases.

True, you can. Those who would chose to boycott, whichever side theyre on in any given debate, are usually the vast minority though. So, good luck with that, lol.

9 minutes ago, McGimp said:

Racist comments actually are protected. Point is moot though, this is a private company not a public square. You can go down to a given street corner or rent out a theater and say what ever you like barring only incitement of violence. And youll be protected by the constitution. 

I stand corrected. You're right. It's not hate speech but inciting to violence. Apparently my brain went awol there for a bit. And you're also right about the private vs public. That's probably the most dead wrong thing I've said in a while. Ugh. 

5 minutes ago, [616]RexFortis said:

The beautiful thing about that is we can choose to boycott the "private company" from any future purchases.  It's called "voting with your dollars".

Entirely true and way more effective than online forum posting.

1 minute ago, McGimp said:

True, you can. Those who would chose to boycott, whichever side theyre on in any given debate, are usually the vast minority though. So, good luck with that, lol. 

Don't worry, you're already witnessing it and don't even know it.  Atlas moderators have already begun their abuse upon non-Chinese players and because of it hundreds of players have already quit and soon it may be thousands.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

I stand corrected. You're right. It's not hate speech but inciting to violence. Apparently my brain went awol there for a bit. And you're also right about the private vs public. That's probably the most dead wrong thing I've said in a while. Ugh. 

'Murica!!

19 minutes ago, [616]RexFortis said:

I could care less what some treasonous politician wants to pen in ink.  Could care less.

You're not really suggesting that the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution is treasonous are you? Because that...is...how do I say this?

Not accurate in any sense of the word anyone I know of has ever used the word treasonous?

1 minute ago, [616]RexFortis said:

Don't worry, you're already witnessing it and don't even know it.  Atlas moderators have already begun their abuse upon non-Chinese players and because of it hundreds of players have already quit and soon it may be thousands.

Lets not take away from the fact that most people leaving are upset with the game more than the community managers. Im with you though - I have no evidence to back this up but i feel like more companies destroy their communities by over policing; than do companies that let the toxicity flow free.

Shit wasnt this bad 10 years ago and thats because the players took care of it themselves. Most of these "racists" only say the shit they do because they know it will stir up shit. Back in the day no one would have paid them any attention and we would have all gone on with our business.

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You're not really suggesting that the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution is treasonous are you? Because that...is...how do I say this?

Not accurate in any sense of the word anyone I know of has ever used the word treasonous?

It was treasonous though wasnt it. They fought an entire war over it and everything. Had they lost they would have been hanged as traitors. It was treason when it was penned, he is technically right.

Edited by McGimp

In fact, "love speech" has never needed anyone to fight for it, nor die for it, as it has never been necessary.

"love speech"has never needed special legislation or a special government to protect it, as such has never been necessary.

Edited by [616]RexFortis

2 minutes ago, McGimp said:

It was treasonous though wasnt it. They fought an entire war over it and everything. Had they lost they would have been hanged as traitors. I was treason when it was penned, he is technically right.

He's right if he's British and it's prior to 1776. Given that the Constitution wasn't written until a full 13 years later after the Articles of Confederation failed, saying that the 1st Ammendment was treasonous would be true IF the US wasn't already an established sovereign nation, which it most certainly was at the time of the Constitution's writing.

4 minutes ago, [616]RexFortis said:

In fact, "love speech" has never needed anyone to fight for it, nor die for it, as it has never been necessary.

Agreed, this is whole principle upon which protecting unpopular speech rests.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

He's right if he's British and it's prior to 1776. Given that the Constitution wasn't written until a full 13 years later after the Articles of Confederation failed, saying that the 1st Ammendment was treasonous would be true IF the US wasn't already an established sovereign nation, which it most certainly was at the time of the Constitution's writing.

Semantics but he actually said what the treasonous politician penned. The thing it self and the act of creating it are two different things.  Also, wtg boys we have fully derailed this topic.

Edited by McGimp

Rex go make your own thread. I posted this topic for discussion about how to make the game fair and equal for everyone and not having to deal with any player, chinesse or no, openly exploiting bugs and glitches to steal land that according to the devs, should be protected.

History derailment ftw!

Just now, Miedein said:

Rex go make your own thread. I posted this topic for discussion about how to make the game fair and equal for everyone and not having to deal with any player, chinesse or no, openly exploiting bugs and glitches to steal land that according to the devs, should be protected.

I'm also to blame. A thousand pardons.