Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Fleet limits needed (for performance)?

Two things seem to cause rubberbanding now, either 140+ players in a grid, or more often now, large "fleets".

The fleets can be made up of any composition of ships, but once it hits a certain number, the servers ability to render them all, and their physics of floating on the water, and pass that to the players causes lag and rubberbanding that isnt present when the fleet is not rendered.

I know we all want a game where you can make whatever you want and in whatever quantity you want, but personally I want a game that is playable without rubberbanding or freezing up due to massive fleets.

Maybe someday we will get to the point we can do it, but unlike Eve, every ship is different here and thus each one isnt just a easy to do client side place holder, they have to be rendered individually.

So it looks like fleet limits may need to come to pass at some point....?

I play on unofficial servers so I could be way wrong... but I thought there were fleet limits already in place. There are for us, and far as I know we're all default settings.  In my character screen it shows company tame limit, anchored ships limit, and unanchored ships limit...?

@Scottylook at the fleets on the Official PvP server.  If there is a limit, it must grow with company size or something, cause some of these fleets are monsterous, and as soon as you sail into render range, FPS goes to crap, rubberbanding starts, freezing starts, some clients CTD, etc.

Well for me, again being on unofficial, it shows anchored limit of 140, and unanchored limit of 70.... 70 brigs or galleons would be freaking insane. O_O  (Tame limit is showing at 800, for what its worth)
If multiple companies are allianced together, I guess they could each have their own 140/70 limits and combined that would be completely nuts.  I definitely see how that can quickly turn into a problem!

I have very little patience with rubberbanding, so I have yet to set foot on official.  I hope something is done for you tho because just thinking about it is giving me a headache. lol!