Sign in to follow this  
ExplodingYeti

Why are npc randomly firing my canons?

So i managed to put some npc crew on my ship. I only have one large cannon for now, and the purpose was more to test the system so bare with me. In any case the guy on the sail is great, but the guy on the cannon fire randomly and this even when i'm in land, or at least seam to do it randomly, i change nothing from the setting and i just don't understand what some of the commands in the wheel are for.

What settings are you guys using for cannoneers so they don't waste ammo randomly, but only use ammo when you fire them. Honestly the entire process of the ai is a bit obscure. From my understanding they seam to be like tames? anyone have tested their behavior a bit more in depth and have some insight? It seam you cna let them gather thing, wander... Are they like pets from Ark?

Also i anchor my ship near my house in a lawless area (you really need to anchor near the shore as they need to be in really shallow for anchoring), and i already had lions kick me from my sloop, those guys sure can jump high, are the npc safe or will wild life agro them?

Edited by ExplodingYeti

Is he set to aggressive?  If so and he's on a large cannon, he's probably shooting at hostile wildlife.  Large cannon can't traverse side to side, though, so he can only attack things directly in front of him, explaining the randomness.

1 hour ago, ExplodingYeti said:

So i managed to put some npc crew on my ship. I only have one large cannon for now, and the purpose was more to test the system so bare with me. In any case the guy on the sail is great, but the guy on the cannon fire randomly and this even when i'm in land, or at least seam to do it randomly, i change nothing from the setting and i just don't understand what some of the commands in the wheel are for.

What settings are you guys using for cannoneers so they don't waste ammo randomly, but only use ammo when you fire them. Honestly the entire process of the ai is a bit obscure. From my understanding they seam to be like tames? anyone have tested their behavior a bit more in depth and have some insight? It seam you cna let them gather thing, wander... Are they like pets from Ark?

Also i anchor my ship near my house in a lawless area (you really need to anchor near the shore as they need to be in really shallow for anchoring), and i already had lions kick me from my sloop, those guys sure can jump high, are the npc safe or will wild life agro them?

Probably animal life in the water

13 hours ago, Hackjob said:

Probably animal life in the water

Yes i witnessed it a min early, they fire big cannons on fucking sea bass, a fish? (they needed 2 cannon balls for a fucking fish) wtf and they are set in passive mode i double checked. I'm trying to set them on target my target now, but then they will fire if i fight pigs on the shore... Also they might be good in big ships with a lot of space but in small ships it's a nightmare, and dev team need to put more range into the commands, they literally have to be next to the cannon so you can command them to use them, on a small ship it's really really bad.

Anyone had better luck setting them up?

I'm editing to say that even on target your target mode, they waste ammo randomly...

Edited by ExplodingYeti

While on the Steering wheel or LT's Podium you need to set them to "STOP" which is the Hand, I believe C is the hotkey, V is the key to set them to actively man the cannons in which case they will start to fire on everything.  You only need to hit V when you are about to start shooting the cannons otherwise always leave them in the Stop mode.