Sign in to follow this  
micah68ph

Clean Server Restart for Patching

Hey Gang,

I'm having trouble cleanly patching my server.  I'm hoping there is a script out there or some tips you all might have.

I created a 3x3 grid with guidance from the following Youtube vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7KvmGY9Iw).  Aside from not being able to connect from the LAN it's working and friends can connect and play.  In order to patch, I click the X or Ctrl+C on each of the server windows and then do the same on the Redis window.  Then I run SteamCMD to patch the server, and when it's done run my batch file to spin it all up again.

The problem though is that every time I do this, it seems like redis-server.exe doesn't actually shut down.  I get errors as soon as the game servers start up and when I start poking around I see that redis-server.exe is still running in task manager so it isn't starting up fresh.  I cant' kill it in task manager.  I've spent hours trying various elevated command prompt or powershell commands to kill it and it just won't die.  So I reboot my physical server, run the batch file to start the game server and it works.

I don't want to reboot my physical server every time I patch the game server.  There's gotta be something I'm missing here.  Any tips on how to cleanly shut down, patch and restart the game servers without bouncing the hardware/OS level?