The devs have stated they wanted to get players out on the sea more, but inadvertently have put the biggest barrier to the sea the game has ever seen. I understand they want to add value to gold and make it an integral part of the game, but they did so at the cost of players being able to make more ships which would result in more combat and an over all increase in the enjoyment of the game. 

Gold requirements and value can be added in ways that make the game more fun and not act as a hindrance. Such examples could be purchasable talent points or buffs for ships that are already crafted or as a modifier during the craft that can add over all quality to the ship at the cost of gold. I would rather gold be seen as a power up and not as a barrier to getting out on the water.

I love the armored ship dock gold upkeep because this allows for gold to be used to protect your ships and I look forward to the specialized ships costing gold. One idea for a ship that costs gold would be a mortar ship that has one mortar on the front of the ship that solves the problem of large scale combat where the defenders just turtle up and force a land fight. the mortar ship forces them to come out of their castle and deal with the siege weapon. Limitations to this ship could be that a company can only purchase one per day and it only lasts for a certain window of time. 

Please consider evaluating the ability for players both in small groups and large groups to earn gold outside of the trade system and their ability to get out on the water and off of land. I know you guys want us out on the water and not stuck on land, that was one of your goals of the automated farm houses at the start.