Sign in to follow this  
joshjonesak

Ship slow when the gun doors are open?

I've been playing for over a year but finally decided to ask this question...

these ships are not wonders of aerodynamics so why do they slow down when the gun doors are open?

I notice this is accomplished by changing the weight like on my schooner where the weight increases by 800lbs... 

of course, i'm sure you're aware that an object doesn't increase in mass simply by rotating it... so...

They changed things this way, if your cannons in gunports and gunports area closed - then cannons WEIGHT less. Check weight icon on top-right. When you open your ports, load-weight of your ship is increased.

Edited by George Catcher

this is not realistic but a working feature as speed is depending on the weight of the ship.

back to my point - cannons don't suddenly weigh more just because you move them 12 inches farther from the center of gravity.  These things weren't relying on aerodynamics the were relying on fluid dynamics. SO long as the gunports stayed above water, open or closed wasn't an issue.

you don't see cruise ships slow down just because everyone opens their balcony doors and step out to enjoy the sunset. 9 

Edited by joshjonesak

again you are right but it is a good feature in regards to balance sea battles. If you follow an other ship and it does not slow down while shooting on you while you can't shoot forward there wouldn't be a point in following others. Also as George mentioned it works in PvP. Most players use gunport cannons to be faster than heavy rear facing build. Only for ship leveling and BP hunt you play the "kite" design besides Speed Sail shooners with bar shots.